Need help please. Charged ions

In summary, Adam is looking for a metal ion with a charge of +4 that can be dissolved in water. He has considered options such as Copper Chloride, Silver Nitrate, and Iron III Chloride, but is now looking for other possibilities such as Tin(IV) chloride or Ce4+. He is also wondering if there is a way to determine which elements can have a 4+ charge based on their location on the periodic table.
AdamCFC
My coursework is ruined, but I am not asking for help with my coursework.

Does anyone know if there is a ion with a charge of +4. I might not be making sense. I know about Copper Chloride (CuCl+2) and Silver Nitrate (AgNO3+1) and Iron III Chloride (FeCl+3). Does anyone know of a plus 4?

I think its to do with oxidisation states of metals?

Much appreciated, Adam

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Several that I can think off. Just looking at periodic table you should be able to guess at least some of them.

i have noted a few down, e.g Pb, NH, Ti, they need to be solouble in water. Is there a way of telling form the periodic table what elements can be 4+? is that to do with groups or rows? thankyou

edit : ignore NH, its not metallic

Last edited:
Pb should be obvious - 4th group (look harder in the same group :wink:). When it comes to Ti it is a little bit more complicated, but when you look at its configuration - s2d2 - it is not that surprising that it can lost four electrons.

sorry, I am starting to get confused here. I've had a crap day learning my coursework is all wrong :L Isnt Tin Sn? but tin-tetra chloride has +4 charged chlorine atoms dosent it? I am looking for a +4 solution where the cations are a metal. e.g copper or silver. I've drawn a blank so far looking.

I looked at lead but apparently it is near impossible to disolve in water.

Do you know if there is any i can use? I am getting stuck

Tin(IV) chloride is a good idea, even if the solution probably doesn't contain Sn4+ cations - my guess is that in neutral or alkaline solution it will be present as some oxoanion, and in low pH it will be complexed by whatever anions will be present.

Check Ce4+.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are charged ions?

Charged ions are atoms or molecules that have an unequal number of protons and electrons, resulting in a positive or negative electrical charge.

How are charged ions formed?

Charged ions are formed through a process called ionization, where an atom or molecule gains or loses electrons. This can occur through chemical reactions, exposure to radiation, or extreme temperatures.

What is the significance of charged ions in chemistry?

Charged ions play a critical role in many chemical reactions, as they are responsible for the transfer of electrons between atoms and molecules. They also help to maintain the electrical balance in living organisms and are essential for processes such as nerve signaling and muscle contraction.

How are charged ions used in technology?

Charged ions have various uses in technology, such as in batteries, fuel cells, and electronic devices. They are also used in medical procedures, such as ion beam therapy for cancer treatment.

What are examples of common charged ions?

Some common examples of charged ions include sodium (Na+), calcium (Ca2+), chloride (Cl-), and nitrate (NO3-). These ions can be found in many everyday substances, such as salt, milk, and fertilizer.