Can the wave function collapse before being measured?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of sending information faster than light and its implications on time travel and quantum entanglement. The idea of wave collapse and its relevance in quantum mechanics is also discussed. Some suggest that the concept of collapse is obsolete and not a true reflection of reality. The concept of Least Action is also brought up in relation to retrocausality and time travel.
least_action
N.B. I am not trying to send information back in time or generate infinite free energy (also I couldn't find how to delete the other thread but could a moderator please delete it for me)

If you could send classical information signals faster than light, then according to relativity you could communicate backwards in time.

The wave collapse for quantum entanglement travels faster than light. So can wave collapse happen to a quantum state caused by a future measurement or did I make a mistake? If it is true what does it imply?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is your 3rd question about collapse...
Your next question will be about collapse before the very first measurement device was formed.
Just forget about the collapse...
It is completely misleading and obsolete concept

Last edited:
Dmitry67 said:
This is your 3rd question about collapse...
Your next question will be about collapse before the very first measurement device was formed.
Just forget about the collapse...
It is completely misleading and obsolete concept

Too true.

Least Action... you're asking practical question about an abstract concept that is only useful as a mechanism in the formalism of QM... it probably has no physical reality. I can't tell if you're trying to understand retrocausality as in DCQE experiments, or if you're futzing around with time travel.

1. What is the wave function collapse?

The wave function collapse is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the probability distribution of a quantum system, described by the wave function, suddenly changes to a definite state when it is observed or measured.

2. Can the wave function collapse before being measured?

According to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, the wave function only collapses when it is measured or observed. However, other interpretations such as the Many-Worlds interpretation propose that the wave function is always in a state of collapse, and measurement simply reveals the outcome of that collapse.

3. What causes the wave function to collapse?

The exact cause of the wave function collapse is still a topic of debate in quantum mechanics. Some theories suggest that it is the interaction between the quantum system and the measuring device that causes the collapse, while others propose that it is due to the consciousness of the observer.

4. Is the wave function collapse a random event?

The wave function collapse is often described as a random event because the outcome of the collapse cannot be predicted with certainty. However, some interpretations of quantum mechanics suggest that the collapse is not truly random, but rather determined by hidden variables that are currently unknown.

5. Can the wave function collapse be reversed?

Once the wave function has collapsed, it is believed to be irreversible. This means that once the outcome of a measurement is observed, it cannot be "undone" or changed back to its previous state. However, some theories propose that the collapse can be undone through the process of quantum entanglement, where particles can become correlated and affect each other's states even at a distance.