Magnitude of this complex number

In summary, the magnitude of a complex number is a measure of its distance from the origin on the complex plane and is also known as the modulus or absolute value. It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and is important in understanding the behavior of the number in mathematical operations as well as determining the distance between two complex numbers. The magnitude is always positive and is equal to the distance between a complex number and its conjugate on the complex plane.
henryc09

Homework Statement

o07192.png

I have this equation and need to find |F|2 (which should be real). I thought you did this by multiplying by the complex conjugate which was just replacing all i with -i, but this doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You might need to apply Euler's formula and then apply F= A/B => |F| = |A|/|B|.

What is the magnitude of a complex number?

The magnitude of a complex number is a measure of its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is also known as the modulus or absolute value.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a complex number?

The magnitude of a complex number can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the real and imaginary parts of the complex number are treated as the sides of a right triangle. The magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts.

What is the significance of the magnitude of a complex number?

The magnitude of a complex number is important in understanding the behavior of the number in operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also helps in determining the distance between two complex numbers.

Can the magnitude of a complex number be negative?

No, the magnitude of a complex number is always positive. It represents a distance, and distance cannot be negative.

How does the magnitude of a complex number relate to its conjugate?

The magnitude of a complex number and its conjugate are always equal. This means that the distance between a complex number and its conjugate on the complex plane is always the same.