Correlations between QM operators

In summary, in both classical and quantum mechanics, two operators A and B are uncorrelated if and only if they are multiples of the identity operator. In statistical mechanics, the expectation value of an operator A for a Boltzmann distribution is calculated using the trace of the operator, but this does not mean that Tr[AB] = Tr[A]Tr[B]. In fact, even in a thermal state, the thermodynamic variables are not uncorrelated, and this holds for both classical and quantum systems.
RedX
In thermodynamics, two variables A and B are uncorrelated when:

[tex]<AB>=<A><B> [/tex]

where <> are the expectation values in thermodynamics (for example calculated using Boltzmann distributions).

What are the conditions in quantum mechanics for two operators to be uncorrelated, i.e.,

[tex]<AB>=<A><B> [/tex]

where <> are now the expectation values in a particular quantum state?

Is it possible for two operators to be uncorrelated for every single state in quantum mechanics? What about thermodynamics: is it possible for two variables to be uncorrelated at every single temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can approach the QM question by inserting a complete set of eigenstates of [tex]A[/tex] into the expectation value:

[tex] \langle \psi | A B | \psi \rangle = \sum_a \langle \psi | A|a\rangle\langle a| B | \psi \rangle . [/tex]

You'll find that this can only equal [tex] \langle A\rangle \langle B\rangle [/tex] if [tex]|a\rangle[/tex] is also an eigenbasis for [tex]B[/tex]. There is a condition that [tex] A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] must satisfy for this to be possible.

You can calculate correlation for random variables that are jointly distributed. In quantum theory this happens only when A and B are represented by commuting operators. For noncommuting operators you can try to mimic some properties of the correlation but not all.

RedX said:
Is it possible for two operators to be uncorrelated for every single state in quantum mechanics?

This is the case if and only if the operators are multiples of the identity operator.

The reason I asked this is because combining statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics, the expectation value of an operator A for a Boltzmann distribution is:

[tex]\Sigma_k e^{-\beta E_k}<E_k|A|E_k>
=\Sigma_k <E_k|e^{-\beta H}A|E_k>
=Tr[e^{-\beta H}A] [/tex]

Now if beta goes to zero (i.e., temperature gets really hot) then the expectation value becomes just the trace of the operator. In particular if you have the product of operators A and B, then the expectation value is Tr[AB].

But physically I thought that Tr[AB]=Tr[A]Tr even though this is not mathematically true. Because at high temperatures I thought things become uncorrelated (for example a ferromagnet at the Curie temperature), since randomess rules at high temperature: so you should have <AB>=<A><B>.

But obviously it is not true that Tr[AB]=Tr[A]Tr. So I thought something quantum mechanical must be happening to keep things from being uncorrelated.

Maybe my physical picture of what's going on is bad.

RedX said:
But physically I thought that Tr[AB]=Tr[A]Tr even though this is not mathematically true. Because at high temperatures I thought things become uncorrelated (for example a ferromagnet at the Curie temperature), since randomness rules at high temperature: so you should have <AB>=<A><B>.

But obviously it is not true that Tr[AB]=Tr[A]Tr. So I thought something quantum mechanical must be happening to keep things from being uncorrelated.

No. Even classically, the thermodynamic variables of a thermal state of an ideal gas is not uncorrelated.

You can understand this even with simple probability theory. If x is a Gaussian random vector in n variables and A is a nonsingular, nondiagonal matrix then the components of z=Ax are correlated. Thus uncorrelatedness is always a property of _particular_ observables, and does not generalize to arbitrary ones.

in particular, while the observables for single molecules in an ideal gas are uncorrelated, this no longer holds for the macroscopic observables, which combine all the microobservables in a similar 9but more complicated) fashion as in my simple example.

1. What are QM operators?

QM operators, or quantum mechanics operators, are mathematical symbols used to represent physical quantities in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the state of a quantum system and how it evolves over time.

2. How are QM operators related to measurements in quantum mechanics?

QM operators are directly related to measurements in quantum mechanics. Each physical quantity has a corresponding operator, which is used to calculate the possible outcomes of a measurement and the associated probabilities.

3. Can QM operators be used to predict the exact outcome of a measurement?

No, QM operators can only be used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement. The exact outcome of a measurement is determined by the random nature of quantum systems.

4. What is the significance of the commutator of QM operators?

The commutator of two QM operators represents the extent to which the two corresponding physical quantities can be measured simultaneously with precision. If the commutator is zero, the two operators can be measured simultaneously with perfect precision, but if it is nonzero, there will be some uncertainty in the measurements.

5. How do QM operators relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that certain physical quantities cannot be known simultaneously with perfect precision. QM operators are used to mathematically represent these physical quantities, and the commutator of two operators determines the extent of their uncertainty relationship.