Rotation of plane tangential to sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses using spherical coordinates to define the location of a plane in a software, and the difficulty in determining the rotation of the plane in the tangential plane of the sphere. The concept of excess angle is suggested but deemed not relevant, and the individual continues to explain their struggle in quantifying the rotation and the factors involved in it. They have tried various combinations of working sets, but have not been able to determine the nature of the dependence between the rotation and the polar and azimuthal angles. The use of rotation matrices, euler angles, and quaternions is mentioned, but their application is unclear.
Equanimity
I'm using some software where the location of a plane with respect to a point is defined using spherical coordinates. I've attached a visual guide of the software parameters to this post, if someone is interested.

I'm not having problems defining the position of the plane with respect to a given origin [there are no problems calculating the polar angle theta using acos(k), the azimuthal angle phi using atan2(i, -j)* and the distance r], but I am having problems determining the rotation in the plane tangential to the sphere (positions in this plane a defined using x,y coordinates, with 0,0 being the point defined by the spherical coordinates).

Different theta/phi combinations effect a rotation in this plane. I understand why this is the case: a combination of pitch and yaw results in roll. I can observe the effect, for instance, when I open up Google Earth and rotate to a different latitude and longitude - I see that the camera rotates (the north and south directions change).

* this -j is required for the software to provide the correct answer; I believe it indicates that the plane is facing the origin of the spherical coordinate system

I'm a stuck on how to quantify this rotation. Is there a simple way to calculate the rotation in this tangential plane between two sets of i,j,k (or r, theta, phi) values?

Attachments

• src8.gif
    src8.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 607
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Equanimity! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a phi: φ :wink:)
Equanimity said:
I can observe the effect, for instance, when I open up Google Earth and rotate to a different latitude and longitude - I see that the camera rotates (the north and south directions change).

I'm a stuck on how to quantify this rotation. Is there a simple way to calculate the rotation in this tangential plane between two sets of i,j,k (or r, theta, phi) values?

I think you're talking about the excess angle …

when you add all the interior angles of a polygon on a sphere, they come to more than they would on a plane, eg > 180° for a triangle or > 360° for a quadrilateral.

If you go opposite ways round the polygon, and meet up, the error is that excess angle.

The excess angle is proportional to the area of the polygon (area/radius2) …

there's some explanation and formulas at http://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/contents/3900/3934/3934.pdf" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure that is the relevant concept. The plane in this case isn't on the surface of the sphere, it is tangential.

I think I can be more thorough in phrasing my question.

In this software, the 'default' parameters are polar angle θ = 90, azimuthal angle Φ = -90 and the plane rotation φ = -90. This results in a plane with an origin on the y-axis, facing the positive y-direction. The output of the software with these parameters is as expected. A φ = -90 produces expected output whenever θ = 90. But with different combinations of θ and Φ, it seems there is an effected rotation of the plane, that I need to quantify, in order to remove it.

Through guess and check, I have a whole lot of combinations of working sets:
θ=90, Φ=-90, φ≈-90
θ=90, Φ=0, φ≈-90
θ=90, Φ=90, φ≈-90
θ=110, Φ=-90, φ≈0
θ=125, Φ=-90, φ≈173
θ=123, Φ=-130, φ≈226
θ=65, Φ=-90, φ≈0
and so on ...

I know that the rotation of the plane φ is dependent on θ and Φ. But I cannot figure out the nature of that dependance.

I believe what is happening is the same thing that occurs when a camera rotates about a sphere, as in the picture I've attached. There are varying rotations in the orientation of the plane at different points about the sphere. This makes sense when considering the constant φ when θ=90: the x and y projections in the plane do not change as you rotate about along the meridian.

I first thought that if I gathered enough sets of working angles, I'd be able to see the relationship between φ and (θ,Φ); but it isn't apparent. I've read about rotation matrices, euler angles and quaternions, but I don't know how to apply them to get the relationship I'm after (or if they are even appropriate).

Attachments

• 3dspherecamerarotation.png
    3dspherecamerarotation.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 610

1. What is the rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere?

Rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere refers to the rotation of a flat surface or plane that touches the surface of a sphere at a single point. This rotation occurs around an axis that is perpendicular to both the plane and the sphere's surface.

2. How is the rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere calculated?

The rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere can be calculated using the formula for rotational motion, which takes into account the angular velocity, radius of rotation, and time. Additionally, the angle of rotation can be determined using trigonometry and the radius of the sphere.

3. What are some real-world applications of rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere?

The rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere has many practical applications, such as in the design of gears and pulleys, navigation systems, and satellite orbits. It is also important in understanding the movement of celestial bodies, such as planets and moons, in our solar system.

4. How does the rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere affect the shape and size of the plane?

The rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere does not affect the shape or size of the plane. The plane maintains its flat shape and size throughout the rotation, as it is only touching the sphere at a single point. However, the orientation of the plane may change as it rotates around the sphere.

5. Are there any limitations to the rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere?

One limitation of the rotation of a plane tangential to a sphere is that it can only occur around a single axis that is perpendicular to both the plane and the sphere's surface. Additionally, the plane must always remain in contact with the sphere at a single point, otherwise, the rotation would not be considered tangential.