Matlab program for reaction diffusion system

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of modeling a reaction-diffusion system on MATLAB. The initial goal is to have four particles on a lattice with 15 sites and eventually have them meet and annihilate. The speaker shares their program for getting annihilation to work, but they are unsure of how to identify and get the particles to annihilate. They suggest creating a class to represent the particles and a method to test if they are on the same site.
yaboidjaf
I'm trying to model a reaction-diffusion system on MATLAB and am struggling.
I'm starting off with 4 particles on a lattice with 15 sites for ease, will take it to a larger scale when I've got the simple version down. the idea is to get randomly walking particles to eventually meet each other and annihiilate.

here's my program

%% getting annihilation to work for 4 particles on 15 lattice sites
clear all
array = round(15*rand(1,4)) % 2 particle system on 10 lattice sites
jump = rand(1,4) % generate 2 random numbers, one for each particle
for x = 1:4
if jump(x) <= 0.5 %if the corresponding number is less than 0.5, the particle moves left, else right.
array(x) = array(x) - 1;
else
array(x) = array(x) + 1;
end
end

so i have the particles all conducting random walks (not sure if it's the best way), but I'm not sure how to go about identifying whether two particles are on the same lattice point and how to go about getting them to annihilate. i have a feeling the way my walks are set up it would be difficult to do so.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be easier to create a class that will represent the particles. The class can have a particle-identity and walk method. Another method could be used to test if particles are on the same site.

1. What is a reaction diffusion system?

A reaction diffusion system is a mathematical model that describes the interactions between two substances, one of which can diffuse through space while the other reacts with it. This system is commonly used to simulate the behavior of biological systems, such as the spread of chemical signals in cells or the formation of patterns in animal fur.

2. What is the purpose of using Matlab for reaction diffusion systems?

Matlab is a powerful programming language and software environment that is commonly used by scientists and engineers to solve complex mathematical problems. It provides efficient and accurate numerical methods for solving reaction diffusion equations, making it an ideal tool for simulating and studying these systems.

3. How do I set up a reaction diffusion system in Matlab?

To set up a reaction diffusion system in Matlab, you will need to define the equations that describe the diffusion and reaction processes, specify the initial conditions, and choose appropriate numerical methods for solving the equations. You can also use Matlab's built-in functions for creating visualizations of the system's behavior.

4. Can I customize the parameters of the reaction diffusion system in Matlab?

Yes, Matlab allows you to specify the values of various parameters in the reaction diffusion equations, such as diffusion coefficients, reaction rates, and initial concentrations. This allows you to study how changes in these parameters affect the behavior of the system and make predictions about real-world phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations when using Matlab for reaction diffusion systems?

While Matlab is a powerful and versatile tool, there are some limitations and considerations to keep in mind when using it for reaction diffusion systems. These can include choosing appropriate numerical methods, ensuring accuracy and stability of the solutions, and dealing with large amounts of data. It is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying mathematical principles and to carefully validate your results.