Moment of Inertia of Hollow Sphere

The moment of inertia is also a two-dimensional quantity, so you need to use dI = r^2 dm = r^2 \sigma dA. The moment of inertia is given by I = \int dI. Therefore, the integral becomes I = \int r^2 \sigma dA = \sigma \int r^2 dA. The area of the sphere is A = \pi r^2, so the integral becomes I = \sigma \int r^2 dA = \sigma \pi \int r^2 dr = \sigma \pi \frac{r^3}{3}. Finally, the surface density is \sigma = \frac{m}{A} = \frac{m}{\
christikiki22

Homework Statement

Calculate the moment of inertia of a spherical shell (i.e. hollow sphere) of uniform surface density about an axis passing through its center.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integral ( r^2 * dm)
Integral (r^2 * p * dV) ... where p=density
p * Integral (r^2 * dV)

where V= (4/3)* pi * r^3
and dV= 4 * pi* r^2
therefore,

p * Integral (r^2 *4 * pi* r^2)
4*p*pi* Integral (r^4)
4*p*pi* ((r^5)/5) from 0 to r

p=density=m/V= m/(4/3 * pi * r^3)

4*m/(4/3 * pi * r^3)*pi* ((r^5)/5

(3*m*r^2)/5

but it should be (2*m*r^2)/3.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
christikiki22 said:
Integral ( r^2 * dm)
and dV= 4 * pi* r^2
The r in the first expression represents the distance from the axis of rotation to the point in question while the r in the second expression represents the distance from the center of the sphere to the point in question. Those are two different things.

A hollow sphere is a two-dimensional surface, so you need to use [itex]dm = \sigma dA[/itex], where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the surface density.

What is the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of the sphere and the axis of rotation.

How is the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere calculated?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere can be calculated using the formula I = 2/3 * mr², where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is affected by the mass of the sphere, the radius of the sphere, and the distance of the axis of rotation from the center of the sphere. The moment of inertia increases with increasing mass and radius, and decreases with increasing distance from the axis of rotation.

Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is important in physics because it is used to calculate the angular acceleration of an object under the influence of a torque. It also plays a crucial role in understanding rotational motion and calculating the energy and momentum of rotating objects.

How does the moment of inertia differ for a solid sphere and a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia for a solid sphere is greater than that of a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is more spread out in a solid sphere, resulting in a greater resistance to rotational motion compared to a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius.