Question about energy of a speeding object, hitting a stationary object.

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to mimic the destructive impact of an asteroid hitting the Earth. The participants consider the speed and density of the object being hit as well as the type of material used. The expert suggests matching the Reynolds numbers and using a loose sand-like material to simulate the impact. A warning is also given to proceed with caution if attempting this with an actual firearm.
nukeman
This might be a little hard to explain, but here we go :)

I want to mimic an astroid or celestial body hitting earth.

Lets not worry about effects from it going through the atmosphere or anything ok.

So, if I were to fire a bullet at an object that was the same density of Earth (5.2 g/cm^3) and the bullet was traveling at 3000 MPH, I would get a certain amount of destruction.

However, an asteroid would be going MUCH faster. For this, let's say the asteroid would be hitting the Earth at 10,000 MPH. Yes, I know they go much faster :)

Now, the only thing I am unable to change is the speed of the bullet, which is 3000 MPH.

How can I change things, so it would do the same level, or close to the level of destruction as the object going at 10,000 MPH? Change the density of the object I am hitting?

Any info would be great. Thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org
In high velocity impacts, materials behave more like fluids than solids, so your best bet is to try and match the Reynolds numbers. I'm not sure what you'd do for viscosity, though, since it will depend on energy released in impact. I suppose, if I was going to actually try this, I'd go for some loose sand-like material, and assume that dynamic viscosity will be roughly the same. Then I'd adjust density to match bullet's speed and size. I don't know if this will be any close, but it's the best idea I've got.

P.S. If you actually plan to try this with an actual fire arm, make sure you know what you're doing.

1. What is the energy of a speeding object?

The energy of a speeding object is known as kinetic energy. It is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is the energy of a speeding object calculated?

The energy of a speeding object can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2mv^2, where E is the energy in joules, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and v is the velocity of the object in meters per second.

3. What happens to the energy of a speeding object when it hits a stationary object?

When a speeding object hits a stationary object, the kinetic energy is transferred to the stationary object. This can result in deformation or damage to the stationary object, depending on the amount of energy transferred.

4. Can the energy of a speeding object be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the energy of a speeding object can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, upon impact with a stationary object.

5. How does the mass and velocity of a speeding object affect its energy?

The energy of a speeding object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that as the mass or velocity of the object increases, so does its energy.