Are there free software and recommended books for mechanism design?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for free mechanism design software and recommendations for books on the theory of mechanism design. The speaker also shares their personal experience with using various design software and finding that physical prototyping is often the most effective method for testing a mechanism's functionality. They provide a link to a website with software options and a book on the topic.
koolraj09
Hi guys,
Are there any free mechanism design software's. I want to test whether a mechanism would a given work or not. It's preferably a 4 bar mechanism. Also can you suggest any good books for theory of mechanism design?
Thank you in Advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I wish...
I must tell you the truth here. I'm using one of the most sophisticated home computers available (MacBook), and have even better design software on my old G3 Macs and the Lisa. I can draught stuff up in several different versions of Illustrator. When it comes down to figuring out whether or not something will work, however, I cut pieces out of cardboard and link them with thumbtacks. It it doesn't work there, it ain't going to work in a commercial environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a mechanism design software?

A mechanism design software is a computer program that is used to simulate, analyze, and design mechanical systems. It allows scientists and engineers to model and test the behavior of various mechanisms, such as gears, linkages, and other moving parts, before physically constructing them.

2. How does a mechanism design software work?

Mechanism design software uses mathematical algorithms and computer-aided design (CAD) tools to create virtual models of mechanisms. These models can then be manipulated and tested in a virtual environment to determine their functionality and performance.

3. What are the benefits of using a mechanism design software?

Using a mechanism design software can save time and resources by allowing scientists and engineers to test and refine designs before physically building them. It also allows for more accurate and efficient design iterations, leading to improved final products.

4. What industries commonly use mechanism design software?

Mechanism design software is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, robotics, and manufacturing. It is also used in research and development for new products and technologies.

5. What are some popular mechanism design software programs?

Some popular mechanism design software programs include SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and CATIA. These programs offer a wide range of tools and features for designing and analyzing mechanical systems.