Did Le Monde Show Bias in Naming Assange Man of the Year?

• News
  • Thread starter Dr Lots-o'watts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary: Notably TIME didn't follow suit and go with notorious in 2001 - Bin Laden; going with Giuliani instead.In summary, Assange was named the "Man of the Year" by a leading French newspaper. He was recognized for the harm and evil he caused, most notably in 2001 when he was named the "Man of the Year" instead of Osama Bin Laden.
Dr Lots-o'watts
Assange: "Man of the Year"

Wikileaks founder is named "Man of the Year" by a leading French newspaper:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-is-le-monde-newspapers-man-of-the-year/story-e6frf7jx-1225975305157

Would it have been if the had leaked information on the French government too?

The wikileaks name gives the impression that it is as impartial as wikipedia or other wiki-x's try to be but there is clear bias from my point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

How do we know he didn't - maybe they're part of the "insurance".

Visitors to the newspaper's website voted in favour of Assange, with 56 per cent backing him for the honour, compared to 22 per cent for jailed Chinese dissident and Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo
'nuff said.

PF doesn't have a half-dozen threads discussing Liu Xiaobo. I guess Assange would also top the PF Person of the Year list.

Gokul43201 said:
PF doesn't have a half-dozen threads discussing Liu Xiaobo. I guess Assange would also top the PF Person of the Year list.

At a minimum he replaces Bush on the person least liked list - on PF (maybe)?

:rofl:...never mind - forgot about Palin.:rofl:

Gokul43201 said:
Well, perhaps most damaging person of the year. Just like Time had

Hitler
Nixon
Ayatullah Khomeini
Joseph Stalin

As men of the year due to the harm and evil they caused.

Evo said:
That was they year he shared with Kissinger, he was on the cover twice.
So was Stalin I see, '39 and '42, sheesh. Stalin's show trials and purges were known by then in the US media, but I don't think the murders into the millions were known. Notably TIME didn't follow suit and go with notorious in 2001 - Bin Laden; going with Giuliani instead.

What is the background of Julian Assange?

Julian Assange is an Australian journalist, computer programmer, and activist who founded the organization WikiLeaks in 2006. He gained widespread recognition in 2010 when WikiLeaks published classified documents from the US military and diplomatic cables.

Why was Julian Assange chosen as Time's "Man of the Year"?

Julian Assange was chosen as Time's "Man of the Year" in 2010 for his role in exposing government and corporate corruption through WikiLeaks. His actions sparked important conversations about transparency and accountability in the digital age.

What are some notable WikiLeaks revelations?

Some notable WikiLeaks revelations include the release of the "Collateral Murder" video, which showed a US military helicopter attack on civilians in Iraq, and the publication of US diplomatic cables that revealed government secrets and exposed corruption.

How has Julian Assange's role as a whistleblower impacted society?

Julian Assange's role as a whistleblower has sparked important discussions about government transparency and accountability. It has also raised questions about the role of media and the internet in disseminating information and holding those in power accountable.

What is Julian Assange's current legal situation?

Julian Assange is currently facing extradition to the United States from the United Kingdom for charges related to the publication of classified documents. He has also faced legal battles and persecution in other countries, including Sweden and Ecuador.