Materials with activity Optical

In summary, the materials with activity Optical are chiral molecules, which are molecules that lack an internal plane of symmetry and have a non-superposable mirror image. Chiral molecules have at least one asymmetric carbon atom, meaning a carbon with four different substituents. In the list provided, the chiral molecules are A, C, and E. However, it is important to note that a chiral substance may have more than one chiral carbon, as in the case of molecule D."
omni
Which of the following materials have activity Optical ?

i know it must have an Chiral molecule,but still i am not know in this list who have it.

thanks for help.

Attachments

• 222.JPG
    222.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
What is a definition of chiral molecule? Can you try to apply definition to these molecules?

well A chiral molecule is a type of molecule that lacks an internal plane of symmetry and has a non-superposable mirror image. The feature that is most often the cause of chirality in molecules is the presence of an asymmetric carbon atom.

i know that activity Optical is possible only in chiral molecules.

can you show me one molecule from my list then i can try to deduce from it.

thank you.

Chiral molecules have (at least) one assymetric carbon. That means carbon with four different substituents. Take a look at your molecules, count different groups attached to each carbon - if there is four, you have a chiral molecule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality_(chemistry)

ok i think i start to understand,
so if i correct the Chiral molecules in my list is A,C,E in my picture here is hard to see but the carbon atom in molecules c have an covalent bond with hydrogen in the left side.
the rule "Chiral molecules have (at least) one assymetric carbon. That means carbon with four different substituents" is also acceptable when there an double covalent bond like we have here when the carbon atoms have an double covalent bond with hydrogen atoms?
thank you.

How many substituents in the carbon with a double bond?

well there 1 substituents in the carbon with a double bond Because the double bond are connection with 1 atoms.

look in the new picture i mark in blue the different substituents Including the atom O that i think he have double bond with the assymetric carbon.

as you can see E and A is almost the same.

thank you.

Attachments

• 2222.JPG
    2222.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 346
"a substituent is an atom or group of atoms substituted in place of a hydrogen atom on the parent chain of a hydrocarbon"

OK, I will put it differently. You have a carbon with a double bond. Is it possible that it has four substituents? Take a look at the picture you have just attached - to how many atoms/groups of atoms is the carbon bonded? Four?

no only to Three atoms/groups of atoms (CH,O,OH)

really thank you.

hi. i found that molecules A,C,E are activity Optical that is correct ?
thanks.

You are correct so far, but it is not a full answer.

Chiral substance may have more than one chiral carbon.

D have than one chiral carbon yes?

thanks

1. What are "Materials with activity Optical"?

"Materials with activity Optical" are materials that interact with light in a way that produces a visible effect. This can include materials that absorb, reflect, or refract light, as well as materials that emit light.

2. How are "Materials with activity Optical" used in scientific research?

"Materials with activity Optical" are often used in scientific research to study the properties of light and its interaction with matter. They are also used in fields such as optics, photonics, and nanotechnology to develop new technologies and devices.

3. What are some common examples of "Materials with activity Optical"?

Some common examples of "Materials with activity Optical" include metals, semiconductors, crystals, and polymers. These materials can have various optical properties that make them useful for different applications.

4. How do scientists measure the optical activity of a material?

Scientists can measure the optical activity of a material by using various techniques such as spectrophotometry, ellipsometry, and optical microscopy. These methods allow them to analyze the interaction of light with the material and determine its optical properties.

5. What potential applications do "Materials with activity Optical" have in the future?

"Materials with activity Optical" have a wide range of potential applications in fields such as renewable energy, telecommunications, and medical imaging. They can also be used to create new materials with unique optical properties for advanced technologies.