CRC - hardware implementation.

• Thread starter Angello90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hardware
In summary, the conversation is about the ways to implement decoding via hardware. The speaker is wondering about how to use an input of c(x) - encoded message - and g(x) - polynomial generator - to check for errors. They mention using a shift register and XOR operations, but are unsure and looking for help or tips. They also mention LFSR as a potential solution.
Angello90
Hey guys,

I am just wondering, what are the ways to implement decoding via hardware? I have an input of c(x) - encoded message - and g(x) - polynomial generator.

I know that by dividing c(x) by g(x), and having no reminder mean that there was no error. I am fine in doing this either by hand or in C, but I can't seem to grasp it in hardware.

What I was thinking was to use a shift register to shift g(x) and XOR specific parts with an input, but that is way to complicated, plus it would work only for a given example! I did some googling, and came across LFSR, but it seems to be very similar to what I was thinking of doing.

Can anyone help me out? Any hits or tips? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone knows at least where can I seek help? Thanks!

1. What is CRC and how is it used in hardware implementation?

CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) is a type of error-detecting code that is commonly used in digital communication systems to detect errors in transmitted data. In hardware implementation, CRC is implemented using a mathematical algorithm that generates a unique checksum for a given set of data. This checksum is then compared to the checksum received at the receiver's end to determine if any errors have occurred during data transmission.

2. What are the advantages of using CRC in hardware implementation?

One of the main advantages of using CRC in hardware implementation is its ability to detect a wide range of errors, including single bit errors, burst errors, and some types of multiple bit errors. Additionally, CRC is relatively simple to implement and does not require a lot of computational power, making it a cost-effective solution for error detection in hardware.

3. Can CRC be used for error correction in hardware implementation?

No, CRC is not designed for error correction. It is only used for error detection, which means it can identify when errors have occurred during data transmission, but it cannot correct those errors. Error correction in hardware implementation requires more complex coding schemes, such as Hamming codes or Reed-Solomon codes.

4. Are there different types of CRC algorithms for hardware implementation?

Yes, there are several different CRC algorithms, each with its own unique properties and advantages. The most commonly used CRC algorithms are CRC-8, CRC-16, and CRC-32, which use 8, 16, and 32 bits respectively to generate the checksum. The choice of which algorithm to use depends on the specific application and the desired level of error detection.

5. How does the length of the data affect the performance of CRC in hardware implementation?

The length of the data does not significantly affect the performance of CRC in hardware implementation. This is because CRC algorithms are designed to be efficient in detecting errors regardless of the data length. However, longer data lengths may require a larger CRC polynomial in order to maintain a high level of error detection.