Absorber unit using Selexol solvent

In summary, Selexol solvent can be used in the IGCC process to remove H2S and CO2. There is no specific maximum pressure difference for the absorber, and the decomposition point/boiling point of Selexol at 50 bar and 10°C is approximately 100°C. The amount of Selexol used in industry varies, but a general rule of thumb is 2-3 kg per 1 kg of H2S and CO2 removed.
mikamikomilo
Hi,

I am doing a simulation of Integrated Gasification combined cycle (IGCC). At one point, i need to use Selexol solvent to remove H2S and CO2. Below are my questions, hope you could kindly help me.

I am wondering is there a maximum pressure difference (between the top & bottom stage) of a typical absorber?
What is the decomposition point/boiling point of Selexol at 50 bar? ( i am running my simulation at 50 bar & 10C, not too sure if Selexol will be decomposed)
What is the typical amount of Selexol used in industry to remove H2S and CO2? ( i am using about 60kgmole/hr of Selexol in my simulation, not sure if it is feasible for this amount)

Thank you so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your questions regarding the use of Selexol solvent in the IGCC process. I am happy to assist you with your inquiries.

To answer your first question, there is no specific maximum pressure difference for the absorber in the IGCC process. The design and operation of the absorber will depend on various factors such as the composition of the gas stream, the desired removal efficiency, and the specific equipment being used. It is important to consider these factors when determining the pressure difference in your simulation.

The decomposition point/boiling point of Selexol at 50 bar and 10°C is approximately 100°C. This means that at these conditions, Selexol will not decompose and will remain in its liquid state. However, it is important to note that the boiling point of Selexol can vary depending on the impurities present in the gas stream. It is recommended to conduct a thorough analysis of the gas stream to accurately determine the boiling point of Selexol in your simulation.

In terms of the typical amount of Selexol used in industry, it can vary depending on the size and capacity of the IGCC plant. However, a general rule of thumb is that for every 1 kg of H2S and CO2 removed, approximately 2-3 kg of Selexol is used. Therefore, for the amount of Selexol you are using in your simulation (60 kgmole/hr), it seems feasible for the removal of H2S and CO2.

I hope this information helps with your simulation. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your project!

1. What is an absorber unit using Selexol solvent?

An absorber unit using Selexol solvent is a piece of equipment used in natural gas processing to remove impurities such as carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide. It works by passing the gas through a tower filled with Selexol solvent, which absorbs the impurities and allows the purified gas to exit the tower.

2. How does Selexol solvent work?

Selexol solvent is a chemical solvent specifically designed for the removal of acid gases from natural gas. It works by chemically reacting with the impurities, such as carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide, and forming a liquid solution. This solution is then separated from the gas and can be regenerated for reuse.

3. What are the advantages of using an absorber unit with Selexol solvent?

There are several advantages to using an absorber unit with Selexol solvent. First, it is highly effective in removing impurities from natural gas, resulting in a high-quality product. Additionally, Selexol solvent is a stable and non-toxic chemical, making it safe to handle and dispose of. Finally, the solvent can be regenerated and reused multiple times, making it a cost-effective option.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Selexol solvent in an absorber unit?

One potential drawback of using Selexol solvent is that it can be expensive and requires specialized equipment for storage and handling. Additionally, the solvent is not effective in removing certain impurities, such as methane and nitrogen, which may require additional treatment steps. However, overall, Selexol solvent is a reliable and efficient option for removing acid gases from natural gas.

5. How is the performance of an absorber unit using Selexol solvent measured?

The performance of an absorber unit using Selexol solvent is typically measured by the removal efficiency of the acid gases, as well as the purity of the resulting gas stream. Other factors, such as solvent regeneration rate and energy consumption, may also be considered. Regular monitoring and maintenance of the unit are crucial to ensure optimal performance and identify any potential issues.