Guidance on wire gauge size for automotive wire in a bundle

In summary, In order to size the wires in a Class 8 heavy duty truck wiring harness, you need to take the current through each wire and calculate the I^2R losses as 100% heat addition to the interior of a PVC pipe similar in diameter to your bundle.
IntegraR0064
Hi,

I'm designing a wire harness for class 8 heavy duty trucks. I need to size the wires. Everything is 12V DC. I have designed a first draft of a wiring harness and I have all of the currents and voltage drops over each wire mapped out. All the wires are in a bundle that will be run along the frame rails of the truck.

My question is - how do I determine the acceptable voltage drop and/or maximum current in each wire? I have seen tables online but they all assume open air. I have seen references to "compensating for bundles" but have not found how to do it. Of course they need to be sized so that each of the components has adequate voltage but I think the more limiting factor is overheating the bundle. Another complicating factor is I have pretty high peak amperages at startup, but after a fairly short time these amperages drop to very low levels. How do I deal with that?

I have also searched for a textbook or paper or something on this and have come up short - is there a good reference I should be looking at?

For more detail on the wiring, it is GXL wiring, 125 degrees C maximum insulation temperature, SAE J1228. Right now wire sizes are between 10 and 22 AWG. It will be bundled in groups of varying number of wires up to maybe 10 or 15 wires, but usually 3-5 wires, with a PVC coated woven yarn (max temperature 80 C) over the bundle.

Thanks for any input on any of my questions!

Engineering news on Phys.org
IntegraR0064,

I don't have an engineering degree, so take my thoughts as a simple layman's recommendation.

You might consider taking the current through each wire and calculating the I^2R losses as 100% heat addition to the interior of a PVC pipe similar in diameter to your bundle. You should be able to calculate the heat loss through a PVC pipe to ambient air based on the temperature differential. It should be fairly easy to write an iterative program that tests the heat added and lost in one second intervals, and as long as it can make it through 36,000 iterations w/o getting too close to 125C, you should be fine.

I am certain there are more rigorous engineering ways of proving safety, but I figured if I threw this out there, someone better qualified might give you the answer you are looking for.

Fish

IntegraR0064,

I don't have an engineering degree, so take my thoughts as a simple layman's recommendation.

You might consider taking the current through each wire and calculating the I^2R losses as 100% heat addition to the interior of a PVC pipe similar in diameter to your bundle. You should be able to calculate the heat loss through a PVC pipe to ambient air based on the temperature differential. It should be fairly easy to write an iterative program that tests the heat added and lost in one second intervals, and as long as it can make it through 36,000 iterations w/o getting too close to 125C, you should be fine.

I am certain there are more rigorous engineering ways of proving safety, but I figured if I threw this out there, someone better qualified might give you the answer you are looking for.

Fish

Good suggestion! I'll try that as an approximation.

Hey thanks for those links. From one of them I found a NEC bundled wire table - http://www.houwire.com/products/technical/article310_16.html . I'm pretty far under those values so I think I'm good from a melting wires perspective. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of having a specific wire gauge size for automotive wire in a bundle?

The purpose of having a specific wire gauge size for automotive wire in a bundle is to ensure that the wires can safely carry the necessary amount of current without overheating. Using the wrong wire gauge size can lead to electrical fires or damage to the vehicle's electrical system.

2. How do I determine the appropriate wire gauge size for my automotive wire bundle?

The appropriate wire gauge size for an automotive wire bundle can be determined by considering the amount of current that will be flowing through the wires and the length of the wire bundle. You can use a wire gauge chart or consult with an automotive electrician for guidance.

3. Can I mix different wire gauge sizes in an automotive wire bundle?

No, it is not recommended to mix different wire gauge sizes in an automotive wire bundle. This can create imbalances in the current flow and potentially cause damage to the vehicle's electrical system. It is best to use the same wire gauge size for all wires in the bundle.

4. Is it okay to use a thicker wire gauge than necessary in an automotive wire bundle?

It is generally safe to use a thicker wire gauge than necessary in an automotive wire bundle. This can provide a margin of safety and help prevent overheating. However, using a significantly thicker wire gauge can be unnecessary and more expensive.

5. Are there any other factors besides current and wire length that should be considered when selecting a wire gauge size for an automotive wire bundle?

Yes, other factors such as the type of insulation and the environment in which the wires will be used should also be considered when selecting a wire gauge size for an automotive wire bundle. For example, wires in high-temperature areas may require a thicker gauge to prevent melting or damage to the insulation.