I am working with devcpp, and have written a c program

• Thread starter smslca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the symbols -1.#IND00000000 and -1.#QNAN0 represent floating point numbers that are not valid, possibly due to overflow or underflow. For more information, refer to the IEEE standard on floating point numbers.
smslca
I am working with devcpp, and have written a c program. After I had compiled it and make it to run, I got these symbols at some places (i.e for some values of input) . I want to know what are they and what do they represent.

symbols:
-1.#IND00000000
-1.#QNAN0

Technology news on Phys.org

smslca said:
I am working with devcpp, and have written a c program. After I had compiled it and make it to run, I got these symbols at some places (i.e for some values of input) . I want to know what are they and what do they represent.

symbols:
-1.#IND00000000
-1.#QNAN0

The QNAN0 is short for "Not a Number": it represents that the floating point number is not a valid one. This could be because of overflow (number too big) or underflow (number too small).

Not sure about the other one (its been a while since I've seen that error).

thanks it helps me somewhat

The symbols you have encountered, -1.#IND00000000 and -1.#QNAN0, are commonly known as "not a number" (NaN) and "indeterminate" (IND). These symbols are typically displayed when there is an error or unexpected result in a mathematical calculation. NaN is used to represent a value that is not a valid number, while IND is used to represent a value that cannot be determined due to an error in the calculation process. In your C program, these symbols may appear due to division by zero, taking the square root of a negative number, or other mathematical errors. It is important to identify and address these symbols in your code to ensure accurate and reliable results.

What is DevCpp?

DevCpp is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) used for programming in the C and C++ languages. It provides a user-friendly interface for writing, compiling, and debugging code.

How do I install DevCpp?

To install DevCpp, you can download the installer from the official website and follow the installation instructions. Alternatively, you can use a package manager to install it on your system.

How do I write a C program in DevCpp?

To write a C program in DevCpp, you can create a new project and select the C language as your project type. Then, you can use the built-in code editor to write your program and save it with the .c extension.

How do I compile and run a C program in DevCpp?

To compile and run a C program in DevCpp, you can click on the "Compile" button or use the shortcut key F9. This will generate an executable file that you can run by clicking on the "Execute" button or using the shortcut key F10.

How do I debug a C program in DevCpp?

To debug a C program in DevCpp, you can use the built-in debugger feature. This allows you to step through your code and track the values of variables to identify and fix any errors in your program.