Solving the Equation for a Complex Number

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve the equation \overline{y} (y - 2) = 2\overline{y} + 15 - 8i for the complex number y. The attempt at a solution involves setting the equation equal to 0 + 0i and equating the real and imaginary coefficients. However, there are some errors in the equations and further clarification is needed.
adam640

Homework Statement

Solve the equation [tex]\overline{y}[/tex] (y - 2) = 2[tex]\overline{y}[/tex] + 15 - 8i for complex number y

Homework Equations

[tex]\overline{y}[/tex]y = a2 + b2

The Attempt at a Solution

a2+b2+8i-4ib-15=0
a2+b(b-4i)+8i-15=0

Pretty clueless where to go from here? Or if I've even gone in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your arithmetic and when you are sure it is correct set it equal to 0 + 0i and equate real and imaginary parts.

I have set the equation to = 0 but I don't understand how I can set to 0i though? I'm sure about the maths so far.

0 = 0 + 0i

Say you have a simple complex equation:
a + 3 + 2bi = 0

This is the same as saying
(a + 3) + 2bi = 0 + 0i

Equate the real and imaginary coefficients:
a + 3 = 0 => a = -3
2b = 0 => b = 0

Thanks for the help, from what you've said I've gathered...

From a2+b(b-4i)+8i-15=0

0=0+0i
Therefore
From a2+b(b-4i)+8i-15=0+0i
a2-15=0
=> a = [STRIKE][tex]\sqrt{15}[/tex][/STRIKE]
b2-4b-8 = 0
b is solved with the quadratic?

Is this correct so far?

adam640 said:
Thanks for the help, from what you've said I've gathered...

From a2+b(b-4i)+8i-15=0

That equation isn't correct. Check your work

0=0+0i
Therefore
From a2+b(b-4i)+8i-15=0+0i
a2-15=0
=> a = [STRIKE][tex]\sqrt{15}[/tex][/STRIKE]
b2-4b-8 = 0

And that last step is wrong too. b(b-4i) isn't (b2-4b)i.

b is solved with the quadratic?

Is this correct so far?

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a represents the real part and bi represents the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit equal to √(-1).

2. How do you solve an equation for a complex number?

To solve an equation for a complex number, you can use the same methods as solving equations with real numbers. The key is to remember that i² equals -1, and to combine like terms on each side of the equation. You may also need to use the quadratic formula to solve for the complex roots.

3. What are complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates are two complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite signs for the imaginary part. For example, 3 + 2i and 3 - 2i are complex conjugates. When multiplied together, complex conjugates produce a real number.

4. Can complex numbers be graphed on a coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane called the complex plane. The x-axis represents the real numbers, while the y-axis represents the imaginary numbers. The point where the two axes intersect is the origin, and the distance from the origin to a complex number is called its modulus or absolute value.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in many areas of science, engineering, and mathematics. They are often used in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits, in physics for solving mechanical problems, and in signal processing for analyzing sound and images. They are also used in finance and economics for modeling and predicting complex systems.