Explaining a Strange Phenomenon: EM Field & PC Fan

In summary, the conversation discusses a strange phenomenon where a PC fan powered by mains electricity produces a stable 200 Hz electromagnetic field at a distance of 3 feet. This frequency remains consistent even during power on and off, suggesting the possibility of a 4-pole motor causing back feeding on the mains. The conversation also mentions the potential role of asymmetrical distortion and the presence of a permanent magnet in the vicinity.
Ravaner
Hello. I need an explanation for a strange phenomenon ... I use a fan (PC type) powered by mains (220 V / 50 Hz in my country). At a distance of about 3', I get a sin EM field (sure it is not by mains cords) at a stable frequency of 200 Hz synchronized on main frequency. Even during power on (acceleration) and power off. During these periods amplitude grows or decreases but frequency is sill 200 Hz. If somone can explain that, thanks by advance ...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I wonder if the motor has 4 poles? Maybe that would account for the 200 Hz "back feeding" on the mains.

Curious. 200 Hz, being an even order harmonic would require some sort of assymetric distortion. If the stator of the motor simply went into partial saturation on both +/- halves of the current peak, this wouldn't happen. Rectification would cause it...
Is there a permenant manget nearby?

1. What is an EM field and how does it relate to a PC fan?

An EM field, or electromagnetic field, is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It can also be created by moving electric charges, such as the movement of electrons in a PC fan. The EM field from the fan is responsible for generating the air flow that cools down the computer's components.

2. Why is it important to understand the relationship between an EM field and a PC fan?

Understanding the relationship between an EM field and a PC fan is important because it allows us to better understand the functioning of electronic devices and how they interact with their surroundings. It also helps us to identify and troubleshoot any potential issues that may arise with the fan or other components of the device.

3. Can an EM field from a PC fan be harmful to humans?

No, the EM field generated by a PC fan is not strong enough to cause harm to humans. However, it is always important to follow safety precautions and avoid touching electronic components while the device is in use.

4. Are there any other strange phenomena that can be explained by an EM field?

Yes, there are many other phenomena that can be explained by an EM field, such as the movement of compass needles, the creation of auroras, and the functioning of electric motors. The EM field is a fundamental force of nature and plays a crucial role in many physical processes.

5. Can the strength of an EM field from a PC fan be controlled?

Yes, the strength of an EM field can be controlled by adjusting the speed of the fan. The faster the fan spins, the stronger the EM field will be. This means that the cooling power of the fan can be adjusted based on the needs of the computer's components.