What is the pH of a mixture made with ammonia hydroxide and HCl?

In summary, the student is trying to find out what the dissociation constant for ammonia in water is and why their calculation for pH was wrong.
tyrant

Homework Statement

A mixture is made by adding 25 ml of 0.100M HCl to 100ml of 0.025M ammonia hydroxide. Kd = 1.76 x 10^-5 . My task is to calculate the pH.

Homework Equations

I think this is the reaction that follows:
NH4OH + HCl <--> NH4 + H2O + Cl

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the concentrations in the mixture:
c(NH4OH) = (0.025mol/l x 0.100l) / ( 0.100l + 0.025l) = 0.02 mol/l
c(HCl) = (0.100 mol/l x 0.025l) / ( 0.100l + 0.025l) = 0.02 mol/l

NH4OH + HCl <---> NH4 + H2O + Cl
Initial C 0.02M 0.02M 0
final C 0 0 0.02M

After this I'm not sure what happens, I have tried calculating the concentration of hydrogen ions formed by this reaction NH4 <---> NH3 + H ( I guess Kd is for this reaction) and calculating the pH then but it was wrong.
My teacher refuses to help me solve this and won't even tell me where I go wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
tyrant said:
I have tried calculating the concentration of hydrogen ions formed by this reaction NH4 <---> NH3 + H

That's the correct approach, question is - what is Kd?

I think Kd is a dissociation constant, the task was written as I wrote it to the problem statement. Kd is just given without specifically telling for what reaction it is.
Strangely I can't get the correct answer ( I don't know what the answer should be). I have double checked my calculations and there shouldn't be any errors in them. When I got my calculation back from my teacher there was only one mark and it said "wrong anwer and wrong solution". When I asked where exactly I had gone wrong he just mumbled something like check my lectures and I did but still no idea what seems to be the problem.

What if I tell you Kd is for NH4OH dissociation?

The Kd being 1.76 x 10^-5 is close enough to the dissociation constant for ammonia in water.

First task is use stoichiometry to determine which is in excess: ammonium hydroxide or HCl? If HCl is in excess, then use simple molarity of the excess HCl to find [H+] and pH. Otherwise, use dissociation constant expression formula to find pH.

Please note that we usually indicate dissociation constant of a weak base using symbol, Kb.

1. How does ammonia hydroxide and HCl react to create pH?

When ammonia hydroxide (NH3OH) and hydrochloric acid (HCl) are combined, they undergo a neutralization reaction where the hydrogen ions (H+) from the HCl combine with the hydroxide ions (OH-) from the ammonia hydroxide to form water (H2O). This reaction results in the formation of ammonium ions (NH4+) and chloride ions (Cl-). The concentration of these ions in the solution determines the pH level.

2. What is the pH of the resulting solution after combining ammonia hydroxide and HCl?

The pH of the resulting solution depends on the initial concentrations of ammonia hydroxide and HCl. Ammonia hydroxide is a weak base and HCl is a strong acid, so the pH will be acidic. The exact pH can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation or by using a pH meter to measure the solution.

3. What is the difference between ammonia hydroxide and ammonium hydroxide?

Ammonia hydroxide (NH3OH) and ammonium hydroxide (NH4OH) are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different compounds. Ammonia hydroxide is the chemical formula for ammonia dissolved in water, while ammonium hydroxide is a solution of ammonia and water containing ammonium ions (NH4+) and hydroxide ions (OH-). In the presence of HCl, ammonia hydroxide will convert to ammonium hydroxide.

4. How does the concentration of ammonia hydroxide and HCl affect the resulting pH?

The concentration of ammonia hydroxide and HCl will directly affect the resulting pH of the solution. As a weak base, ammonia hydroxide will have a greater effect on the pH at lower concentrations compared to HCl, which is a strong acid. Increasing the concentration of either compound will result in a decrease in pH, as more ions are available to react and form water.

5. Can the pH of the solution be changed by adding more ammonia hydroxide or HCl?

Yes, the pH of the solution can be changed by adding more ammonia hydroxide or HCl. The concentration of these compounds will determine the extent to which the pH changes. Adding more ammonia hydroxide will result in a higher pH, while adding more HCl will decrease the pH.