Regulating/capping voltage for a lamp

In summary, the person is working on a model railroad and would like help. They have a locomotive with a DC motor that runs it. The motor is powered by a power supply that ranges from 0-12VDC. The DC motor can pull as much as 1.5A. There is a lamp that is connected in parallel with the motor to simulated headlights. The lamp starts off dim with low voltage and gets brighter with higher voltages as the train moves faster. What the person wants is for the lamp to reach its full brightness as soon as possible, say at 2V from the power supply, and remain that brightness for higher voltages. They think a zener diode might do what they want to achieve. From what they
TIDexter
I'm working on a project for my model railroad and I would like some help.

I have a locomotive with a DC motor that runs it. This motor is powered by a power supply that ranges from 0-12VDC to control the speed of the train. The DC motor can pull as much as 1.5A.

Also in the locomotive is a lamp that is connected in parallel with the motor to simulated headlights. Currently the lamp starts off dim with low voltage and obviously gets brighter with higher voltages as the train moves faster.

What I would like for the lamp to do is reach its full brightness as soon as possible, say at 2V from the power supply, and remain that brightness for higher voltages. That way the lamp pretty much stays the same brightness no matter what. What happens below 2V I'm not picky about, whether the lamp is off or it dims in brightness, doesn't really matter. Basically, as long as the lamp is full bright at any speed of the train.

From what I can tell the best way would be to get a 2V lamp and limit/cap/regulate the voltage to the lamp so it stays at 2V. So how would I go about doing this? I think a zener diode might do what I want to achieve but I'm not sure of it handles variable voltages or the somewhat high current. I've also at the 78** series of voltage regulators but they all need a higher input voltage to work, which is not ideal.

Recommendations? Am I even going about this the right way?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think a zener diode would work out just about right. You'll want to calculate the power so you size the zener properly, but I doubt the lamp draws that high of a current.

There is probably some resistance limiting current to the lamp, so a smaller zener would probably work ok. You can also add a resistor to further limit the current, although it may adversely affect the turn-on voltage for the lamp.

Just make sure you put the zener in a part of the circuit that only affects the lamp, otherwise you may shunt voltage for the moving parts and cause the train to move at permanent low speeds!

1. How does regulating/capping voltage affect the brightness of a lamp?

Regulating or capping the voltage for a lamp can directly affect its brightness. Lowering the voltage can result in dimmer light, while increasing the voltage can make the lamp brighter. However, it is important to note that there is a limit to how much you can adjust the voltage without damaging the lamp or causing it to flicker.

2. Can regulating/capping voltage extend the lifespan of a lamp?

Yes, regulating or capping the voltage for a lamp can help extend its lifespan. By controlling the voltage, you can prevent the lamp from receiving too much power, which can cause it to burn out faster. Additionally, fluctuating voltage can also cause wear and tear on the lamp, leading to a shorter lifespan.

3. What are the potential dangers of not regulating/capping voltage for a lamp?

Not regulating or capping the voltage for a lamp can be dangerous. If the voltage is too high, it can cause the lamp to overheat and potentially start a fire. On the other hand, if the voltage is too low, it can cause the lamp to flicker and potentially damage the electrical circuit it is connected to.

4. How do I regulate/cap voltage for a lamp?

There are several ways to regulate or cap voltage for a lamp. One option is to use a voltage regulator, which is a device that can adjust the voltage to a specific level. Another option is to use a resistor in series with the lamp to reduce the voltage. It is important to consult a professional or refer to the lamp's manual for the appropriate method for your specific lamp.

5. Can I use a dimmer switch to regulate/cap voltage for a lamp?

Yes, a dimmer switch can be used to regulate or cap voltage for a lamp. However, not all lamps are compatible with dimmer switches, so it is important to check the lamp's specifications before using one. Additionally, using a dimmer switch may also affect the type of bulb that can be used with the lamp.