B-field question Lorentz's force

In summary: The speed.In summary, Sammy attempted to find the Kinetic Energy of an electron that was in a magnetic field, but was not able to due to not understanding the Lorentz Force. He was able to solve the problem by finding the velocity and kinetic energy.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5598/46421047.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this problem is deeper than it looks. Here is my FBD

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/69/31024385.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So I am assuming at it actually "stops" and "drops" when the magnetic force is exactly 180 degrees with Fg and then it falls under constant velocity?

In other words

[tex]qv_{0}B = mg[/tex]

[tex]v_0 = \frac{mg}{qB}[/tex]

Then

[tex]y(t) = \frac{mgt}{qB} + y(0)[/tex]

Now my problem is, what is y(0)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you are to ignore gravity. At any rate the effect of gravity will be minuscule compared to the Lorentz force.

The electron will undergo uniform circular motion once it enters the region with the B field. It's path will be a semi-circle, after which it exits the field.

What is the direction of the Lorentz force on the electron?

It's always inwards, if there is no gravity then won't it go into a circle forever?

Once it completes half a circle, it's back out of the field & headed back to the left, displaced by 4 cm.

The velocity is the left, but the force is up

I'll give it another shot

[tex]\frac{mv^2}{r} = qvB[/tex]

[tex]v = \frac{rqB}{m}[/tex]

[tex]\bar{v}t = \Delta x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{rqBt}{m} = \pi r[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{\pi m}{qB}[/tex]

Sigh...I am alone again.

What exactly do you mean by displaced by 4cm? Isn't it going in an arc?

flyingpig said:
The velocity is the left, but the force is up
[tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is to the right, so [tex]-e\vec{v}[/tex] is to the left, so, yes, the force is upward, on the page, initially, where q = -e.
flyingpig said:

The radius is given in the statement of the problem -- although not directly. So, you should be able to find the velocity, and thus the Kinetic Energy.
flyingpig said:
What exactly do you mean by displaced by 4cm? Isn't it going in an arc?
After the electron leaves the region with the B-field, it again travels in a straight line. This line is 4 cm from the electron's initial line of flight.

Is my answer wrong then...? For time

flyingpig said:
Is my answer wrong then...? For time

It looks like it's correct !

Find the speed, then the Kinetic Energy.

Sammy, I am still confused about the KE part, is it asking when it comes out? Or the change in KE during the whole process? If it is the whole trip, how do I find the tangential force?

Lorentz Force is perpendicular to the direction of motion (cross product) at all times. Therefore, the Lorentz Force does NO work on the electron, so KE is constant.

Io find KE, you need to find v. What is r for the circular portion of the motion?

I feel like you are trying to lead me to saying it is 2cm...but it isn't. When I mean tangential force, I don't mean the centripetal force I mean the one that's parallel to the tangential velocity

Read my previous post about the Lorentz Force.

And, YES, r is definitely 2 cm.

No the Lorentz Force = centripetal force, which not the force I am talking about.

How do I find the force that is parallel to the tangential velocity si what I am asking.

There is NO other force in this problem.

How do I find the work done = KE then?

[tex]ma_t \cdot \pi r = \Delta KE[/tex]

The Lorentz Force is the only force in this problem. The Lorentz Force does NO work on the electron, as has already been explained.

Therefore, ΔKE =0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then how can I find the change KE when it is 0? I don't understand

It's meant to just be the KE I think - there's no change in KE
There's only centripetal force in this problem - the "tangential force" you're talking about doesn't exist =\

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink>

Review my posts. You have all the information you need.

Change in KE is zero, KE ≠ 0, but it doesn't change!

I don't understand how the 2cm can help me get to the answer. If the change in KE is 0 then

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

flyingpig said:

flyingpig said:
I don't understand how the 2cm can help me get to the answer. If the change in KE is 0 then

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^2 = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

One of the equations in post #6 will give you the speed.

You know r, q, B, & m. Find v.

I was about to say that 2.00cm / t = v...

[tex]F = qvB = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

[tex]qB = m\frac{v}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{qBr}{m} = v[/tex]

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}(qBr)^2[/tex]

Now the question is, is r the ARCLENGTH or radius. How did you know it was radius Sammy?

flyingpig said:
[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}(qBr)^2[/tex]
You're missing an m.
Now the question is, is r the ARCLENGTH or radius. How did you know it was radius Sammy?
The equation: [tex]F = qvB = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex] tells us that the Lorentz force is providing the centripetal force. Since m is mass & v is the speed, r must be the radius of the resulting semi-circle.

Before you ask me, I'm asking you:
flyingpig, why is it a semi-circle rather than a full circle?​

SammyS said:
You're missing an m.

The equation: [tex]F = qvB = m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex] tells us that the Lorentz force is providing the centripetal force. Since m is mass & v is the speed, r must be the radius of the resulting semi-circle.

Before you ask me, I'm asking you:
flyingpig, why is it a semi-circle rather than a full circle?​

Because there is no B-field on the left hand side...it says on the picture

Ah Yes, the m lol

Are we squared away?

You should be able to give a numerical answer.

a) 1.79 x 10^-8s

b) 5.63 x 10^-18J

Unless I made a mistake typing in my numbers.Sammy, I also noticed that you could do this

The arc length is [tex]\pi (2.00 \times 10^-2)[/tex]

The speed is then

[tex]\frac{\pi (2.00 \times 10^-2)}{1.79 \times 10^-8}[/tex]

Then I also get the same KE!

Also, Sammy, when I calculated the velocity I used the average velocity formula and I forgot to divide it by 2. I should have used the change in velocity. My question, how come they don't give the same answer?

The speed doesn't change.

1. What is the B-field and how does it relate to Lorentz's force?

The B-field, also known as the magnetic field, is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force exerted by a magnet or moving charged particles. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is closely related to Lorentz's force, which describes the force experienced by a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

2. How is the B-field calculated?

The B-field is calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current passing through a wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. It can also be calculated using Ampere's law, which relates the magnetic field to the current enclosed by a closed loop.

3. What is the direction of the B-field?

The direction of the B-field is given by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, the curl of your fingers will give the direction of the B-field. Alternatively, the direction of the B-field can be determined using the right-hand rule for cross products, where the direction is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of motion of the charged particle.

4. How does the B-field affect charged particles?

The B-field exerts a force on charged particles that are moving through it. This force, known as Lorentz's force, is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the particle. It causes the particle to experience a deflection or circular motion, depending on the angle between the B-field and the particle's velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the B-field and Lorentz's force?

The B-field and Lorentz's force have many practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators, particle accelerators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in everyday objects like speakers, televisions, and credit cards. Additionally, understanding the B-field and Lorentz's force is crucial for many fields of science, including astrophysics, plasma physics, and materials science.