Clifford Algebras: Matrix Representations & Higher Order

• Thread starter sjhanjee
  • Start date
In summary, for higher order Clifford algebras, an even-dimensional representation can be found by generalizing the Weyl basis. This includes the use of Pauli matrices and other similarity transformations. However, constructing a representation for odd-dimensional algebras is more challenging and may require further research. For more information and assistance, it may be helpful to seek advice from other forums or experts in the field.
sjhanjee
Can matrix representations of any higher order Clifford Alebras be found ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for an even-dimensional representation, an obvious choice is to generalize the Weyl basis. For example in 8 dimensions have:

[tex]\gamma^0 = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & I \\ 0 & 0 & I & 0 \\ 0 & I & 0 & 0 \\ I & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

[tex]\gamma^k = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0& \sigma^k \\
0 & 0 & -\sigma^k & 0 \\
0 & \sigma^k & 0& 0\\
-\sigma^k & 0 & 0& 0
\end{pmatrix} [/tex]

which obey the Clifford algebra. Similarity transformation or constructing reducible matrices can get you more variety, of the trivial type.

As for odd-dimensional representations, you're on your own, as my math isn't any good: I have no clue as to how you would construct those.

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate the even order case. I think you are using pauli matrices but I know only 3 of them. Can you clarify? Or can you tell me where to look for them.

sjhanjee said:
Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate the even order case. I think you are using pauli matrices but I know only 3 of them. Can you clarify? Or can you tell me where to look for them.

The [tex]\sigma [/tex] matrices are the 3 Pauli matrices. The I is the 2x2 identity matrix. So the matrices in this case would be 8x8.

Here is the Wikipedia link for the 4x4 matrices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_matrices

Another question? My clifford algebras are Cl(0,n) (of negative signature) , not the space time algebra, so all the gamma matrices should square to -1.

sjhanjee said:
Another question? My clifford algebras are Cl(0,n) (of negative signature) , not the space time algebra, so all the gamma matrices should square to -1.

All the matrices I gave above square to -1, except the 1st matrix. You can multiply every entry of the 1st matrix by the square root of -1. Then all the matrices square to -1, and they all anticommute with each other. So they form an 8-dimensional matrix representation of a Clifford algebra with 4 elements.

Yes ,I am getting there. Another (silly) question. Can you give matrix representations of Cl(0,6) or Cl(0,8) similarily ( or for that matter any Cl(0,2n) )?

sjhanjee said:
Yes ,I am getting there. Another (silly) question. Can you give matrix representations of Cl(0,6) or Cl(0,8) similarily ( or for that matter any Cl(0,2n) )?

I don't know. My math is not really any good, so I'm only interested in Cl(0,4) and Cl(1,3), which are useful for spacetime. Perhaps if you try another board, they would be better able to help.

Here is a general list of boards:

https://www.physicsforums.com/

I don't know which one would be good though, but I don't believe this stuff is really seen in classical physics (I could be wrong though), so maybe try quantum mechanics or beyond the standard model.

Thanks for your reply. I am coming from pure mathematics backgrond. And I don't know where to look for these representations , I will try other boards.Thks

1. What are Clifford algebras?

Clifford algebras are mathematical structures that extend the idea of complex numbers to higher dimensions. They are named after the mathematician William Kingdon Clifford and are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is the importance of matrix representations in Clifford algebras?

Matrix representations allow us to visualize and manipulate the elements of a Clifford algebra. This is particularly useful in applications where the algebra is used to study geometric transformations, such as in computer graphics or robotics.

3. How are matrix representations related to higher order Clifford algebras?

Matrix representations become more complex as the dimension of the Clifford algebra increases. This is because the number of basis elements and the number of possible combinations also increase. In higher order Clifford algebras, matrix representations may involve higher dimensional matrices or even tensors.

4. What are some applications of Clifford algebras in physics?

Clifford algebras have been used in theoretical physics to study phenomena such as spin, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They have also been used in the development of supersymmetry and string theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using matrix representations in higher order Clifford algebras?

As the dimension of the Clifford algebra increases, the size and complexity of the matrices used in representations also increase. This can make calculations and manipulations more challenging. Additionally, in some cases, matrix representations may not be possible for certain types of higher order Clifford algebras.