High Energy Physics: Q&A on Computational Skills & Math Courses

In summary, the field of High Energy Physics requires both Computational Physics and Programming Skills, as there is a need for analysis of large amounts of data from experiments. In terms of theoretical computations, knowledge of MATLAB may not be as useful, but knowledge of Mathematica and FORTRAN can be beneficial. Additional math courses, such as Algebraic Topology and Algebraic Geometry, can also be helpful in specializing in HEP. However, the difficulty of developing new ideas in fields like string theory and SUSY may vary. In terms of employment, most jobs in theoretical HEP are in academia, but obtaining a faculty position can be challenging. The level of math required for HEP is similar to that of Mathematics for Physics, but more advanced tools may
zahero_2007
I have some questions regarding High Energy Physics
Are Computational Physics and Programming Skills of use for The High Energy Physicist or is it sufficient to only know how to use MATLAB ? Also should I take courses in Algebraic topology and Algebraic geometry ? Also What other math courses should a graduate take to specialize in HEP ?
It seems that most research is in string theory and SUSY . How much is it difficult to develop new ideas in these fields ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zahero_2007 said:
Are Computational Physics and Programming Skills of use for The High Energy Physicist or is it sufficient to only know how to use MATLAB ?

They're useful as typically you have tremendous amounts of data to analyze from experiments.
For example, ROOT framework has been developed by CERN for the analysis of experimental data, currently based on C++:

http://root.cern.ch/drupal/

Thanks , but are these of use in developing Theories ? I mean If you do not work in the phenomenology

zahero_2007 said:
Thanks , but are these of use in developing Theories ? I mean If you do not work in the phenomenology

Ooops,,, looks like you meant theoretical computations. In this case then ROOT is not of much use.

I have one more question . How many Physics graduates work in Theoretical high energy physics and how much is it difficult ?

In terms of programming, theoretical high energy is far behind the curve. Much of the popular code is written in fortran 77. I would say that a knowledge of mathematica and fortran could get you far. Having some numerical methods background is useful, but you can learn what you need as you go.

As far as employment, that's a bit tougher. The only jobs actually doing hep theory are academic, and getting an academic job requires a tremendous amount of sacrifice, hard work, skill, and luck. You'll need to get a phd, which will take 5 or 6 years after undergraduate. After that, you'll have to go through two postdoctoral periods of 3 years, and finally you get to apply for faculty positions, and hope that you're lucky enough to get one.

Can someone reply to my other questions please?

The more maths you know, the better. But rather than going for a one year in AT and AG I would rather study from a more focused source like the book from Nakahara.

Overall, the level of maths you must know is around the same of Mathematics for Physics: A Guided Tour for Graduate Students by Michael Stone and Paul Goldbar. Of course, depending on your area of specialization you will require more advanced tools, but you will have your whole phd time to acquire them.

Thanks , What is the average salary of a theoretical particle physicist employed in a university ?

zahero_2007 said:
Thanks , What is the average salary of a theoretical particle physicist employed in a university ?

You've asked about the difficulty, and are now asking about salary.

I highly recommend you choose a different career path.

Go into engineering if you want to make money.

zahero_2007 said:
Are Computational Physics and Programming Skills of use for The High Energy Physicist or is it sufficient to only know how to use MATLAB ?

Depends on the type of HEP. Lattice gauge theory and large scale calculation of Feymann diagrams require quite a bit of computational work.

see http://cfif.ist.utl.pt/~paulo/qgraf.html

1. What is high energy physics?

High energy physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the interactions between them at the highest energy scales.

2. What computational skills are necessary for high energy physics?

High energy physics involves analyzing large amounts of data, so proficiency in programming languages such as Python, C++, and Fortran is essential. Familiarity with statistical analysis and data visualization software is also important.

3. Why is math important in high energy physics?

Math is the language of physics, and high energy physics relies heavily on mathematical models and equations to understand and predict the behavior of particles and their interactions. A strong foundation in math, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is crucial for success in this field.

4. What courses should I take to prepare for a career in high energy physics?

In addition to courses in physics and math, it is important to take courses in computer science, statistics, and data analysis. Courses in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and particle physics are also highly recommended.

5. How can I gain practical experience in high energy physics?

Participating in research projects, internships, or summer programs at universities or national labs is a great way to gain hands-on experience in high energy physics. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops and networking with professionals in the field can provide valuable insights and opportunities for practical experience.