Cylinder rolling up inclined plane - Rolling without slipping

In summary, you tried to solve a problem involving circular motion, but you got stuck. You used the energy of the cylinder and equated it to its potential energy. You then tried to find the weight force and friction force. You then used the equation between torque and angular acceleration to find the weight force.
Oshada

Homework Statement

2i04s9h.jpg

Homework Equations

All the usually relevant circular motion equations involving θ, I, ⍺, τ and ω

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to work from the energy of the cylinder (Using Ek = Ktrans + Krot) and equating the energy to its potential energy at the point it starts to roll down but got nowhere near the answer. I've done the force diagram, which had the weight force, normal force and friction. For c), I think I'm supposed to use τ = r x F and F is the friction force. But I'm not sure whether to just use linear acceleration formulae to obtain acm.

Any help is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is all right that you tried energy conservation. But without seeing your work in detail, we cannot find the error in your solution.

ehild

Sorry, here it is:

At the beginning: E = Ktrans + Krot (since Ep = 0) = 1/2 * m * v^2 + 1/2 * I * ω^2.
Using v = rω: E = (1/2*3.8*5.6^2) + (1/2*3.8*r^2*(5.6^2/r^2)
Therefore E = 120J (to two sig. figs)

When the cylinder starts to roll back; let x be the height at which the cylinder is motionless (therefore x = sin(θ)*4.2):
E = Pe (since Ek = 0) = 120J. (119.168)
Pe = mgh = 3.8*9.8*4.2*sin(θ) = 120 (119.168)

This gives me θ = 43.7 degrees. The answer is 34.8 degrees.

Oshada said:
Using v = rω: E = (1/2*3.8*5.6^2) + (1/2*3.8*r^2*(5.6^2/r^2)

You miss a factor of 1/2 from the rotational energy. Erot=1/2 Iw^2, but I=1/2 Mr^2

ehild

Oh my! That was so stupid on my part. Thank you very much! Also in part c), how does r x F work?

Oshada said:
Also in part c), how does r x F work?

What do you mean? You know the acceleration, and ma=F(resultant). The forces acting on the cylinder along the slope are the component of gravity and the force of static friction. You need the expression for the static friction.

ehild

So basically: ma = mgsin(θ) - Fr yes? But the answer is Fr = (M * acm)/2. I'm sure I'm missing something simple again...

So you can not use the angle of inclination. But there is an equation between torque and angular acceleration. Use that one.

ehild

I⍺ = r x F is what I was going to use, but the sin(θ) still crops up!

Oshada said:
I⍺ = r x F is what I was going to use, but the sin(θ) still crops up!

No, why?

ehild

From Fnet = mgsin(θ) - Fr?

It is really I⍺ = r x Fr , Fr is the force of friction. How is related the angular acceleration, alpha, to acm? r is the radius drawn to the bottom point of the cylinder, where it touches the slope. R is at right angle with Fr. You know everything.

ehild

This might be a foolish question, but why isn't the weight component parallel to the plane included? I⍺ = r x Fr gives the right answer though :D

The force of gravity acts in the centre of mass. So its torque is zero with respect to the cm .

ehild

Makes perfect sense, thank you very much!

You are welcome.:smile:

ehild

What is "cylinder rolling up inclined plane"?

Cylinder rolling up inclined plane is a physics concept that describes the motion of a cylinder rolling up a slope without slipping. This means that the bottom of the cylinder maintains contact with the plane at all times and does not slide or slip.

What is the significance of "rolling without slipping" in this concept?

"Rolling without slipping" is an important condition in this concept because it allows us to analyze the motion of the cylinder using simple equations of motion. This condition also ensures that kinetic friction is not present, making the analysis of the motion more straightforward.

What factors affect the motion of a cylinder rolling up an inclined plane without slipping?

The motion of a cylinder rolling up an inclined plane without slipping is affected by several factors, including the mass of the cylinder, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity. Other factors that may affect the motion include the shape and size of the cylinder, the surface of the incline, and air resistance.

How is the velocity of the cylinder related to the angle of the incline?

The velocity of the cylinder is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the velocity of the cylinder also increases. This relationship is described by the equation v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the radius of the cylinder, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between a cylinder rolling up an inclined plane with and without slipping?

The main difference between a cylinder rolling up an inclined plane with and without slipping is the presence of kinetic friction. When rolling without slipping, there is no kinetic friction, and the motion can be described using simple equations of motion. However, when rolling with slipping, the presence of kinetic friction must be taken into account, making the analysis more complex.