Super position? or super assumption?

• Thread starter Shinns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary: It must be in a superposition of many positions. This is called the 'positron problem.' Another problem with your theory is that it doesn't account for the observation that particles can collide.
Shinns
Hello everyone, after examining the double slit experiment and pondering for several days, I came to the conclusion that the notion of superpositions is a bit of a "leap of faith."

"Evidence" for superpositions is said to be the double slit experiment, but could the Idea of superpositions be a false conclusion?

Now that i have cast my doubt on superpositions, it's only fair that i provide an alternative explanation; aether displacement.

Now i know Aether theories are kind of "fringe" but in all fairness, not nearly as many resources have gone into the study of AT compared to QT.

Aether theory seems to account for the particles without superposition.

The idea is basically that the particle's momentum creates ripples or waves in the aether, and while these "aether waves" go through both slits, the particle only goes through one or the other. The particle then "rides" the interference pattern created by the coherent aether wave patterns. When the particles are examined, it disturbs the coherence of the aether waves.

I'm not saying this theory is correct, but it seems to account for the phenomenon much more intuitively than superposition theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then you need to find an explanation for bonding-antibonding phenomenon in chemistry, the existence of coherence gap in the SQUID experiments of Delft/Stony Brook, a slew of Bell-type experiments, etc.. etc.

Zz.

Shinns, there are interpretations of QM similar to yours. They say that the particle actually does go through one slit, and the wavefunction guides the motion of the particle. But these theories are much worse than the standard interpretation.
As one example, think of a single electron (in an s shell) in an atom. In standard interpretation, the electron is a superposition of many position states. But in your theory, the electron would have to be at a particular position. But if the electron was in a particular position, then a dipole electric field would be created. But experimentally, no dipole electric field is observed. So the electron cannot have one particular position.

1. What is super position?

Super position is a concept in quantum mechanics where a physical system exists in multiple states or positions simultaneously until it is observed or measured. This is known as the principle of superposition.

2. How does super position work?

Super position works by combining the probabilities of all possible states or positions of a physical system to determine the overall likelihood of its properties. This allows for a more accurate description of quantum systems.

3. Can super position be observed?

No, super position itself cannot be directly observed because it is a theoretical concept. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and measurements in quantum systems.

4. What is the difference between super position and super assumption?

Super position and super assumption are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Super position refers to the state of a physical system, while super assumption refers to the assumption that a system can be in multiple states at once.

5. How does super position relate to the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment?

The Schrödinger's cat thought experiment is often used to explain super position in a more relatable way. It illustrates the concept of a physical system being in multiple states at once until it is observed, similar to how a cat in a sealed box can be both alive and dead until the box is opened and its state is observed.