Collatz Conjecture - Bouncing Ideas

In summary: If every positive integer can be expressed as odd * 2n such that prime numbers are p * 20 and powers of 2 are 1 * 2n and branches of the Collatz Tree begin with an odd positive integer followed by that odd positive integer multiplied by 2n where n is the number of steps to get back to the odd positive integer, would it be safe to assume that for each odd positive integer present in the Collatz Tree every even positive integer of the form odd * 2n would be present?Yes, this assumption is safe to make. For every branch of the Collatz Tree, a new branch is created wherever [(odd * 2n) - 1] % 3 == 0. This means that for any branch
prdgi
Hey, this is my first post, so... Hello everybody!

I've been looking into the Collatz conjecture, and like most mathematically minded people, been completely absorbed by it. I'm looking to bounce some ideas off other people, kind of a peer review of a couple things if you will.

I'll be the first to state that I'm nowhere near qualified, or intelligent, enough to call myself an expert, so feel free to correct me and tell me this was worked out a hundred years ago, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for a way to avoid checking every number up to n when looking for an exception to the Collatz Conjecture.

If every positive integer can be expressed as odd * 2n such that prime numbers are p * 20 and powers of 2 are 1 * 2n and branches of the Collatz Tree begin with an odd positive integer followed by that odd positive integer multiplied by 2n where n is the number of steps to get back to the odd positive integer, would it be safe to assume that for each odd positive integer present in the Collatz Tree every even positive integer of the form odd * 2n would be present?

If this assumption is safe to make, we can instantly avoid the checking of every even positive integer, a 50% reduction in amount of numbers requiring checking.

Also, for every branch of the Collatz Tree, a new branch is created wherever [(odd * 2n) - 1] % 3 == 0. With this in mind, if 3 is a factor of odd, then 3 is also a factor of odd * 2n and as such [(odd * 2n) - 1] % 3 == 2. Therefore, for any branch where 3 is a factor of the base odd positive integer, no sub-branch can ever be created.

If no sub-branch can ever be present, any odd positive integer divisible by 3 cannot possibly be reliant on any prior representation of itself in the Collatz Tree in order for itself to be represented in the Collatz Tree and thus cannot be part of the main sequence of an exception loop. Therefore, we can avoid checking odd positive integers that are divisible by 3. This can further reduce the numbers that require testing by 33%.

These 2 reductions leave us with testing 33% of numbers - something that can increase our search times greatly.

I hope I have explained myself well enough, it is one of my weaknesses.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only got time to quickly look at your assumption paragraph beginning

"If every +ve integer can be expressed as odd * 2^n..."

But I can see straight away that you are not considering odd numbers at all in your tree branches as (any number odd or even) * (power of 2) = even.

You do consider the primes above but that is all you have. Prime numbers and even numbers.

I looked at the Collatz conjecture many times a few years ago and I came up with what I thought was a repetition of Mersenne primes (as remainders) in the branches. I'll have a look at my notes and get back to this thread. May take a few days.

kdbnlin.

Last edited:
kdbnlin78 said:
But I can see straight away that you are not considering odd numbers at all in your tree branches as (any number odd or even) * (power of 2) = even.

kdbnlin.

Hey thankyou for your reply. I too have little time - about 3 minutes before I leave to work.

Every odd number can be expressed the same way that a prime number can be expressed. That is, odd * 20 because 20 evaluates to 1. Therefore odd numbers are expressed as odd * 1, or more simply, odd.

prdgi

1. What is the Collatz Conjecture?

The Collatz Conjecture, also known as the 3x+1 problem, is a mathematical conjecture that states that starting from any positive integer, if the number is even, divide it by 2, and if it is odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Continue this process and eventually, the number will reach 1.

2. How long has the Collatz Conjecture been unsolved?

The Collatz Conjecture has been unsolved for over 80 years, since it was first proposed by German mathematician Lothar Collatz in 1937. Despite numerous attempts to prove or disprove it, the conjecture remains an open problem in mathematics.

3. Why is the Collatz Conjecture important?

The Collatz Conjecture is important because it is a simple yet unsolved problem in mathematics that has captivated mathematicians for decades. Its solution could potentially lead to new insights and understanding in number theory and other branches of mathematics.

4. How many numbers have been tested for the Collatz Conjecture?

As of 2021, it is estimated that over 20 trillion numbers have been tested for the Collatz Conjecture by various mathematicians and computer programs. However, this is only a fraction of the infinite number of positive integers, making it a daunting task to prove or disprove the conjecture.

5. Has any progress been made towards solving the Collatz Conjecture?

While the Collatz Conjecture remains unsolved, some progress has been made in understanding certain aspects of it. In 2019, mathematician Terence Tao proved that any "reasonable" attempt to prove the conjecture must involve techniques from multiple areas of mathematics, strengthening the belief that it is a difficult problem to solve.