Brain Buster: Solving the Minimum Angular Velocity for a Thrilling Carnival Ride

• Thread starter Dragoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the minimum angular velocity at which the floor can be withdrawn from a rotating cylinder in a carnival amusement ride can be calculated using the equation \omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{\mu r}}. With a radius of 5.6 m and a coefficient of static friction of 0.5, the minimum angular velocity is approximately 2 s^{-1}. However, due to the significant figure rule, the accepted answer may be slightly different.
Dragoon
One of the amusements at many carnivals is a rotating cylinder. The customers step inside and stand with their backs to the wall. The cylinder spins very rapidly, and at some angular velocity the floor is pulled away. The thrill-seekers now hang like flies on the wall. If the radius of the cylinder is 5.6 m, and the coefficient of static friction between the people and the wall is 0.5, what is the minimum angular velocity, w, at which the floor can be withdrawn?

Physics news on Phys.org
i used the equation W=√g/µr but it was incorrect

This problem is pretty straightforward if you draw an FBD from the rotating reference frame. The normal force exerted by the cylinder is going to provide the centripetal acceleration.

so
[tex]a_c=r\omega^2[/tex]
[tex]F_{normal}=ma_c[/tex]
[tex]F_{friction}=\mu m a_c[/tex]
[tex]F_g=mg[/tex]
[tex]|F_{friction}|=|F_g[/tex]
[tex]\mu m a_c = m g[/tex]
[tex]\mu r \omega^2 = g[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{\mu r}}[/tex]

Looks like you were right.
Now plugging in numbers:
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{9.81}{0.5 \times 5.6}} \approx 2 s^{-1} [/tex]
(0.5 has only one sig fig).

thanks for the help i used that equation but for some reason the computer didnt like it the course tells me to use the significant figure rule then doesn't use it later so the accepted answer was 1.872s-1 but thanks for the help again i really appreciate it.

What is "Brain Buster Need Help"?

"Brain Buster Need Help" is a brain-teasing puzzle game that challenges players to solve complex and challenging puzzles in order to progress to the next level.

How do I play "Brain Buster Need Help"?

To play "Brain Buster Need Help", you must first download the game onto your device. Once downloaded, you can start the game and navigate through the levels by using your logic and problem-solving skills to solve each puzzle.

Is "Brain Buster Need Help" suitable for all ages?

While "Brain Buster Need Help" can be enjoyed by people of all ages, it is recommended for players who are at least 12 years old due to the challenging nature of the puzzles.

Are there any tips or tricks for playing "Brain Buster Need Help"?

Some tips for playing "Brain Buster Need Help" include taking your time to carefully analyze each puzzle, using logic and reasoning to solve the puzzles, and not being afraid to try different approaches if one method is not working.

Can "Brain Buster Need Help" improve cognitive skills?

Yes, playing "Brain Buster Need Help" can improve cognitive skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and memory. The challenging puzzles require players to use these skills in order to progress through the game.