How do I calculate the RPM needed to power my system?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a lure course system for dogs, using a 12v car starter motor, solenoid, and car battery. The speaker wonders if an 18v or electric drill could be used instead and how to calculate the necessary speed for the pulley. The responder suggests using the relation between linear and angular velocity and mentions that a car starter is not the best choice due to its high torque for short periods of time. They suggest using a battery-powered drill instead.
ccices
I want to design a lure course system for my dogs to chase after.
The systems I have seen use a 12v car starter motor, solenoid and car battery. It is a closed loop system with nylon type string around the drive pulley of the motor and then the string stretches out over 700+' along the ground. When you turn it on, the string moves a plastic bag along the ground and the dogs chase it.

Could I use something other then a car starter system? A lot of those systems have issues because the solenoid of those starters are not designed for that type of continuous use (on for 10 mins+ at a time) Maybe something like an 18v drill? or an electric drill (but I don't always have access to 120v)

How do I calculate how fast I need to power the pulley to make the string travel upwards of 30 mph? Would it be based on the size of the drive pulley only?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the relation between linear and angular velocity:

linear velocity = radius of pully X angular velocity

Solve for angular velocity (which will be your motor rotation speed). Watch your units.

Car starter is definitely the worst choice, I am afraid. It is designed to provide very high torque for a short period of time. You need rather moderate torque for long time. You must check (or estimate) the torque you need, but at the first guess the drill seems to be better choice. There are battery powered drills - their internal battery is also 12V, so you may connect it to car battery if you want to operate it in place where normal AC is not available.

1. How do I determine the required torque for my system?

To calculate the required torque for your system, you will need to know the power output required (in watts), the rotational speed (in revolutions per minute or RPM), and the efficiency of your system. The formula for torque is torque = power / (2 * pi * rotational speed * efficiency).

2. What is the formula for calculating RPM?

The formula for calculating RPM is RPM = (60 * frequency) / number of poles, where frequency is the electrical frequency and number of poles is the number of magnetic poles in the motor.

3. How does the load affect the required RPM?

The load will affect the required RPM by increasing the torque requirements. As the load increases, the system will require more power and therefore a higher RPM to maintain the same speed. This can be accounted for in the torque equation by adjusting the power output required.

4. Can I use a motor with a different RPM than the calculated value?

Yes, you can use a motor with a different RPM than the calculated value. However, the motor's torque and power output must be able to meet the requirements of your system. It is important to note that using a motor with a significantly different RPM may affect the efficiency and performance of your system.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated RPM?

The accuracy of the calculated RPM can be affected by various factors such as variations in load, changes in motor efficiency over time, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to regularly check and adjust the calculated RPM to ensure optimal performance of your system.