Formula for RLC circuit amperage

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for the current in a series RLC circuit given the resonance frequency, current at resonance, capacitance, voltage of the battery, and resistance. The person also asks about the transient response starting when the circuit is closed and is directed to lecture notes and a Wikipedia page for further information.
jforce93
Does anyone have a formula for the current in a series RCL circuit, if I have the: resonance frequency, current at resonance, capacitance (only one resistor, one capacitor, and one inductor), the voltage of the battery attached, and resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want the transient response starting when the circuit is closed?

MisterX said:
Do you want the transient response starting when the circuit is closed?

Yes please!

1. What is the formula for calculating the amperage in an RLC circuit?

The formula for calculating amperage in an RLC circuit is I = V/Z, where I is the amperage, V is the voltage, and Z is the impedance.

2. How do I calculate the impedance in an RLC circuit?

The impedance in an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + (Xl - Xc)²), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance.

3. What is the difference between amperage and current in an RLC circuit?

Amperage and current are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. While current refers to the flow of electricity, amperage specifically refers to the strength or magnitude of that flow.

4. How does the inductance and capacitance affect the amperage in an RLC circuit?

Inductance and capacitance both play a role in the impedance of an RLC circuit, which in turn affects the amperage. Inductors oppose changes in current and capacitance opposes changes in voltage, both of which can affect the flow of electricity in the circuit.

5. Can the amperage in an RLC circuit be negative?

Yes, the amperage in an RLC circuit can be negative. This typically occurs when the voltage and current are out of phase, which can happen when there is a large amount of inductance or capacitance in the circuit.