Chandrasekhar limit equation/white dwarf mass-radius relation

In summary, the equation on the page says that the radius is proportional to the mass (inversely) but the mass-radius relation that I numerically integrated is proportional to the mass.
Monkey Face
Hey there,

I have a couple of questions that may seem a little stupid, but anyway:

I've been a bit of research into the Chandrasekhar limit and have unsuccessfully tried to find an equation/estimation that sums it up as I have seen so many floating around on the internet. Variations from the one found on wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit ) seem to be used a lot but I know wiki isn't exactly the most reliable of sources. If anyone could clarify this for me, that would be great :)

Another thing I wanted to ask was about the equation found on this page: http://www.astrophysicsspectator.com/topics/degeneracy/DegeneracyPressureRadius.html

I've been recommended this as a reasonably good source (by my teacher at school) but I've a problem with the equation on that page specifically; the mass-radius relationship for a white dwarf is, as I understand it, such that the more massive it is, the smaller it is. Rearranging that equation for the radius seems to show that the radius is proportional to the mass (as opposed to inversely).

Any help would be great, thanks in advance! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Monkey Face said:
Rearranging that equation for the radius seems to show that the radius is proportional to the mass (as opposed to inversely).

Which equation did you start from? Perhaps you would like to show us your working?

yenchin said:
Which equation did you start from? Perhaps you would like to show us your working?

I literally used what they gave on that link I put above.

Monkey Face said:
I literally used what they gave on that link I put above.

Yes. But *which* equation? There are a few of them. And the page explicitly says that "Equating these two relationships shows that the radius is proportional to M^(-1/3)". The reason I asked is that if you don't show us your working then it is hard for anyone here to point out what could have gone wrong. The wikipedia page looks fine by the way.

The best white dwarf mass-radius relation that I have numerically integrated is:
[tex]R_{\ast} = \frac{(9 \pi)^{2/3} \hbar^2}{8 G m_e m_p^{5/3} M_{\ast}^{1/3}} \; \; \; \; \; \; \mu_e = 2[/tex]

The white dwarf mass-radius relation equation solution that I derived is:
[tex]\boxed{R_{\ast} = \left( \frac{3}{2} \right)^{4/3} \frac{\pi^{2/3} \hbar^2}{G m_e (\mu_e m_p)^{5/3} M_{\ast}^{1/3}}}[/tex]

Reference:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/sm1/lectures/node87.html"

Attachments

• wdMR01.jpg
    wdMR01.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 647
Last edited by a moderator:

What is the Chandrasekhar limit equation?

The Chandrasekhar limit equation, also known as the Chandrasekhar mass formula, is a mathematical equation that predicts the maximum mass that a white dwarf star can have before it collapses into a neutron star or a black hole. It was developed by Indian astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar in 1930.

How is the Chandrasekhar limit equation calculated?

The equation takes into account the mass of the electron, the speed of light, and the gravitational constant to determine the maximum mass of a white dwarf. It is calculated as Mch = (hc/2G)^3/2(m_e)^-2, where Mch is the Chandrasekhar limit, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, G is the gravitational constant, and m_e is the mass of an electron.

What is the significance of the Chandrasekhar limit equation?

The Chandrasekhar limit equation is significant because it helps us understand the fate of stars and the formation of compact objects such as neutron stars and black holes. It also provides a theoretical limit for the maximum mass of a white dwarf, which has been confirmed by observational data.

What is the white dwarf mass-radius relation?

The white dwarf mass-radius relation is a mathematical relationship between the mass and radius of a white dwarf star. It is derived from the Chandrasekhar limit equation and shows that as the mass of a white dwarf increases, its radius decreases. This means that more massive white dwarfs are smaller in size compared to less massive ones.

How does the Chandrasekhar limit equation impact our understanding of stellar evolution?

The Chandrasekhar limit equation has significantly impacted our understanding of stellar evolution by providing a theoretical limit for the maximum mass of a white dwarf. It also helps explain the existence of neutron stars and black holes, which are formed when a star exceeds the Chandrasekhar limit and collapses under its own gravity. This equation has also been used to study the evolution of binary star systems and the formation of Type Ia supernovae.