Books for self-learning physics

In summary, a high-school student is seeking suggestions for good books to learn physics and strengthen their math skills. They have already started learning calculus from "Calculus Made Easy" and are looking for similar books for physics. Recommendations include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" and books by Apostol or Spivak. They are also advised to check out "The Road to Reality" and online resources such as Open Courseware and Khan Academy. The student prefers a more conversational style of teaching like Feynman's but is willing to try other books as well.
jobsism
Hello! I am a high-schooler, and I was thinking of learning physics on my own. Can anyone please suggest me some good books for self-learning physics?

Also, I thought of strengthening my math as well(I only know upto the basics of differential calculus). So I recently started learning calculus from Silvanus P.Thompson's "Calculus Made Easy", and found it really easy to follow. Can anyone also please tell me what branches of math are necessary for learning physics, and also suggest some books like the one I mentioned above?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
For physics, get a book like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471320579/?tag=pfamazon01-20 or any book with the title "physics for scientists and engineers". It's a lot to read, but it's necessary to get a grasp on physics.

As you are already familiar with caclulus, maybe you should start reading a book like Apostol or Spivak?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing that you haven't studied much physics in high school, so i would recommend trying to find this book "The Road to Reality", Roger Penrose either at a library, or online. Don't buy it unless you really enjoy it, but it's a great outline to go by. Open Courseware is also a great online resource(ocw.mit.edu ), along with Kahn Academy. If you take the time to master calculus you should be able to understand most of the basic concepts and applications of the different branches of physics.
Hope it helps

Thank you for your replies!:D

I have seen Resnick-Halliday, but I really don't feel like it's my style of learning...I learn better with a chatty style of teaching, rather than a formal style...something along the lines of Feynman...unfortunately, the Feynman lectures involve some complex math, so I have read only the Six Easy Pieces part...

As for Apostol or Spivak, I'm already learning calculus from Calculus Made Easy, but I'll give it a try when I'm done with it.

I have gazed through "The Road to Reality", and I find it a bit(actually a lot!) tough for my level...

I'll try khanacademy and OCW right away! :)

I would recommend starting with a basic physics textbook such as "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, or "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. These books cover all the essential topics in physics and are written in a clear and comprehensive manner. For self-learning, it may also be helpful to supplement with online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare.

In terms of strengthening your math skills, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Some other branches of math that are useful for physics include linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. A good resource for learning these math concepts in the context of physics is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas. Additionally, "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" by Fleisch provides a clear and intuitive explanation of vector calculus and its applications in physics.

It's great that you are taking the initiative to learn physics on your own. Just remember to take your time and thoroughly understand each concept before moving on to the next. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What are the best books for self-learning physics?

Some highly recommended books for self-learning physics include "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker, "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma. It ultimately depends on your learning style and the specific topics you are interested in.

2. Are there any books for self-learning physics for beginners?

Yes, there are several books specifically designed for beginners in physics such as "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Douglas C. Giancoli and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca. These books provide a solid foundation in the basic principles of physics.

3. Can I use textbooks for self-learning physics?

Yes, textbooks can be a great resource for self-learning physics. However, it is important to choose a textbook with clear explanations, examples, and practice problems. Some textbooks also come with online resources such as video tutorials and interactive quizzes, which can enhance your learning experience.

4. Are there any online resources for self-learning physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-learning physics, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These platforms offer free lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help you understand and apply physics concepts.

5. How can I make the most out of books for self-learning physics?

To make the most out of books for self-learning physics, it is important to have a clear study plan and set specific goals for yourself. Take notes while reading and actively engage with the material by solving practice problems. It can also be helpful to join online forums or study groups to discuss difficult concepts and ask questions.