Why Does Permeability Alter Membrane Potential?

In summary, the equilibrium potential is determined by the concentrations of charge inside and outside of the membrane, but changes in permeabilities directly affect the membrane potential.
horsecandy911
I've just finished reading through the generally well-written Wikipedia article on membrane potential:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membrane_potential

I found almost everything to be clear, but one question is nagging at me. Why do changes in membrane permeability directly affect membrane potential? The Wikipedia article says:

The more ions are permeant, the more complicated it becomes to predict the membrane potential. However, this can be done using the Goldman-Hodgkin-Katz equation or the weighted means equation. By simply plugging in the concentration gradients and the permeabilities of the ions at any instant in time, one can determine the membrane potential at that moment. What the GHK equations says, basically, is that at any time, the value of the membrane potential will be a weighted average of the equilibrium potentials of all permeant ions. The "weighting" is the ions relative permeability across the membrane.

I can understand why membrane permeabilities affect the equilibrium potential, but why should they affect the membrane potential instantaneously? Isn't the potential totally determined by the concentrations of charge inside and outside the membrane? Changing permeabilities by opening ion channels should shift the equilibrium potential and cause a gradual change in membrane potential in the direction of equilibrium, but they should not change the membrane potential immediately. Am I misunderstanding something? Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
horsecandy911 said:
Changing permeabilities by opening ion channels should shift the equilibrium potential and cause a gradual change in membrane potential in the direction of equilibrium, but they should not change the membrane potential immediately.

"Immediately" is a relative term. Voltage-gated channels do not require us to wait on the charged particles to spread down the axon. Instead, we have a lot of channels open up in series down the axon and at each a point, a new current comes into the axon through its own gate. So no, it's not immediate, but it's faster than if the charged particles only diffused classically down the axon (much faster).

horsecandy911 said:
I can understand why membrane permeabilities affect the equilibrium potential, but why should they affect the membrane potential instantaneously? Isn't the potential totally determined by the concentrations of charge inside and outside the membrane? Changing permeabilities by opening ion channels should shift the equilibrium potential and cause a gradual change in membrane potential in the direction of equilibrium, but they should not change the membrane potential immediately. Am I misunderstanding something? Thanks.

I use sodium transport as an experimental readout by measuring the equivalent short-circuit current across a sample of epithelial tissue, and this is due to an apical sodium channel (ENaC) and a few baso-lateral transporters (Na-K-ATPase and RomK) which result in a vectoral transport of sodium.

I can verify that the measured voltage is in fact due to sodium transport (as opposed to some other ion) by plugging ENaC with amiloride. The transepithelial current drops by 90% over a period of seconds when this happens, which should give you an idea of the timescale.

1. How does permeability affect membrane potential?

Permeability refers to the ability of a substance to pass through a membrane. In terms of membrane potential, changes in permeability can alter the flow of ions in and out of the cell, which can affect the overall charge inside the cell and therefore the membrane potential.

2. What is the relationship between ion permeability and membrane potential?

Ion permeability plays a crucial role in determining the membrane potential of a cell. When ion channels are open, allowing ions to pass through the membrane, the movement of these ions can cause changes in the cell's charge, resulting in a change in membrane potential.

3. How does the type of ion affect membrane potential?

The type of ion can greatly impact membrane potential. For example, positively charged ions such as sodium (Na+) and potassium (K+) tend to increase the positive charge inside the cell, leading to a more positive membrane potential. On the other hand, negatively charged ions such as chloride (Cl-) can decrease the positive charge inside the cell, resulting in a more negative membrane potential.

4. What factors can cause changes in membrane permeability?

Several factors can affect membrane permeability, including changes in temperature, pH levels, and the presence of certain hormones or neurotransmitters. Additionally, the opening and closing of ion channels can also alter membrane permeability and, consequently, membrane potential.

5. How does membrane potential affect cell function?

Membrane potential plays a crucial role in the functioning of cells. It is essential for processes such as cell signaling, muscle contraction, and nerve impulses. Additionally, changes in membrane potential can also affect the movement of nutrients and waste products in and out of the cell, which are vital for the cell's survival and proper functioning.