Radius of the path of an electron in a magnetic field?

In summary, the path of the 15MeV electrons is 0.002354 meters radius. The electrons could have energies between 1.3 and 15.7 MeV and be confined to orbits with radii within 5% of that energy.
doanta

Homework Statement

15MeV electrons, enter magnetic field with strength of 0.7T. What is the radius of the path of the electrons? What energies could the electrons have and be confined to orbits with radii within 5% of the 15MeV electrons?

Homework Equations

[itex]E = \frac{m_{0}c^{2}}{\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^{2}}}[/itex]

[itex] r = \frac{mv}{qB} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for v using relativistic energy equation. I got:

[itex] v = c \sqrt{\left(1-\frac{m_{0}c^{2}}{E}\right)^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]v = 2.898x10^{8} m/s [/itex]

and plugged that value into formula for radius

[itex] r = \frac{\left(9.11x10^{-31}kg\right)\left(2.898x10^{8} m/s\right)}{\left(1.602x10^{-19}C\right)\left(0.7T\right)} [/itex]

I get r = 0.002354m

I then take [itex]\pm[/itex]5% of the radius and get 0.0022363m to 0.0024717m

When I take the radius r=0.0022363 and work backwards by using it to find the velocity then energy I get a scant 1.3 MeV

and when I take r = 0.0024717m and work backwards, I end up with a velocity greater than c!

Is my approach correct?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It's
[tex]r = \frac{p}{qB} = \frac{\gamma mv}{qB}[/tex]
for a relativistic electron. (I'd encourage you to try to prove this yourself, it's not that complicated)

Also, you can save some work by not solving for [itex]v[/itex], if you can directly relate energy to momentum.

diazona said:
It's
[tex]r = \frac{p}{qB} = \frac{\gamma mv}{qB}[/tex]
for a relativistic electron. (I'd encourage you to try to prove this yourself, it's not that complicated)

Also, you can save some work by not solving for [itex]v[/itex], if you can directly relate energy to momentum.

Thank you for the reply. I corrected the formula for [itex]r[/itex], and I took your advice and related energy to momentum.

results:

[itex]r = \frac{p}{qB} = \frac{\gamma mv}{qB}[/itex]

[itex]E^{2} = \left(pc\right)^{2} + \left(m_{0}c^{2}\right)^{2}[/itex]

[itex]p = \frac{\sqrt{E^{2} - \left(m_{0}c^{2}\right)^{2}}}{c}[/itex]

[itex]p = \frac{\sqrt{\left(2.4x10^{-12}J\right)^{2} - \left(8.187x10^{-14}J\right)^{2}}}{3x10^{8}\frac{m}{s}} = 7.995x10^{-21} kg\frac{m}{s}[/itex]

[itex]r = \frac{7.995x10^{-21} kg\frac{m}{s}}{\left(1.602x10^{-19}\right)\left(0.7T\right)} = 0.071m[/itex]

[itex]\pm[/itex] 5% of 0.071m = 0.0677m[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0.0749m

[itex]p = rqB[/itex]

[itex] r = 0.0677 m[/itex]

[itex] p = \left(0.0677 m\right)\left(1.1214x10^{-19}\right)\frac{kg}{s} = 7.596x10^{-21} kg\frac{m}{s}[/itex]

[itex]E = \sqrt{\left[\left(7.596x10^{-21} kg\frac{m}{s}\right)\left(3x10^8 \frac{m}{s}\right)\right]^{2} + \left(8.187x10^{-14}kg \frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}}\right)^{2}} = 2.28x10^{-12}kg \frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}} = 14.2MeV[/itex]

Then do the same for [itex]r = 0.0749m[/itex], and [itex]E = 15.7MeV[/itex]

I believe this looks right, any thoughts?

Thank you

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of the path of an electron in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the radius of the path of an electron in a magnetic field is r = mv/Be, where r is the radius in meters, m is the mass of the electron in kilograms, v is the velocity of the electron in meters per second, B is the magnetic field strength in teslas, and e is the charge of the electron in coulombs.

2. How does the radius of the path of an electron change with increasing magnetic field strength?

As the magnetic field strength increases, the radius of the path of an electron decreases. This is because the force exerted on the electron by the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the field, and the force is what causes the electron to move in a circular path. Therefore, as the force increases, the radius of the path decreases.

3. What factors affect the radius of the path of an electron in a magnetic field?

The radius of the path of an electron is affected by the mass and velocity of the electron, as well as the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, the charge of the electron and the angle at which it enters the magnetic field can also affect the radius of its path.

4. Can the radius of the path of an electron in a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the radius of the path of an electron can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the strength of the magnetic field or the velocity of the electron. However, the mass and charge of the electron are constants and cannot be changed.

5. Why does an electron move in a circular path in a magnetic field?

An electron moves in a circular path in a magnetic field because it experiences a force, known as the Lorentz force, which is perpendicular to both its velocity and the magnetic field. This force causes the electron to continuously change direction, resulting in a circular path.