Partial fraction decomposition

In summary, the power of the numerator is the same as the power of the denominator. You have to make long division of polynomials:
bryansteele
Yes, another of these. How do you decompose (z3+1)/(z(1-z)2) ?

I've tried A/z + B/(1-z) + (Cz+D)/(1-z)2 and a slew of others that don't work.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(z3+1)/z(1-z2)

Do you mean:

(z3+1)/(z(1-z2))

or

((z3+1)/z)(1-z2)

First of all, the power of the numerator is the same as the power of the denominator. You have to make long division of polynomials:

[tex]
\frac{z^{3} + 1}{z(1 - z^{2})} = \frac{z^{3} + 1}{-z^{3} + z} = \frac{z^{3} - z + z + 1}{-z^{3} + z} = -1 - \frac{z + 1}{z^{3} - z}
[/tex]

Next, the denominator factors into linear factors:
[tex]
z^{3} - z = z (z^{2} - 1) = z (z - 1) (z + 1)
[/tex]
so, you have:
[tex]
\frac{z + 1}{z^{3} - z} = \frac{z + 1}{z ( z - 1) (z + 1)} = \frac{A}{z} + \frac{B}{z - 1} + \frac{C}{z + 1}
[/tex]
You find A, B and C.

BloodyFrozen said:
(z3+1)/z(1-z2)

Do you mean:

(z3+1)/(z(1-z2))

or

((z3+1)/z)(1-z2)

Hey, I made a quick edit in the problem. I meant the quantity squared. Sorry for the confusion.

Again, your numerator and denominator have the same power. Do the long division:

[tex]
(z^3 + 1) \colon (z^3 - 2 z^2 + z) = ?
[/tex]

first. What is the quotient and what is the remainder?

It comes out to ((z+1)(z2-z+1))/(z(z-1)2)

no, this is not long division.

Right. It is 1 + (2z2-z+1)/(z3-2z2+z)

Last edited:
How?

[tex]
1 \cdot (z^{3} - 2 z^{2} + z) + (2 z^{2} - z) = z^{3} - 2 z^{2} + z + 2 z^{2} - z = z^{3} \neq z^{3} + 1
[/tex]

right again. I've edited my last reply. I forgot the +1 in the numerator.

Ok, now look at the normal fraction (power of numerator is lower than power of denominator). The partional fraction decomposition is:

[tex]
\frac{2 z^{2} - z + 1}{z ( z - 1)^{2}} = \frac{A}{z} + \frac{B}{z - 1} + \frac{C}{(z - 1)^{2}}
[/tex]

If you multiply by [itex]z (z - 1)^{2}[/itex], and compare coefficients in front of like powers of z, you will get 3 equations for A, B and C. Solve them and you are done.

Great, appreciate the patience. Imagine, I've made it to a graduate-level complex analysis class without ever doing partial fractions...

Loads of help, thanks again.

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in mathematics and engineering to simplify and solve complex algebraic fractions. It involves breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions that can then be easily integrated or solved.

When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in calculus, differential equations, and other areas of mathematics where solving integrals or equations involving rational functions is necessary. It is also used in engineering applications, such as signal processing and circuit analysis.

How is partial fraction decomposition done?

The basic steps for partial fraction decomposition are: 1) Factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and irreducible quadratic factors, 2) Write the partial fraction decomposition as a sum of simpler fractions with undetermined coefficients, 3) Equate the coefficients of like terms on both sides of the equation, and 4) Solve for the unknown coefficients.

What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition allows for the simplification of complex rational functions, making them easier to integrate or solve. It also helps in finding the roots and asymptotes of the function, as well as in solving systems of linear equations.

Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition can only be applied to proper rational functions, meaning the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. It also cannot be used for improper rational functions with repeated factors in the denominator.