Calculating κ: Find the Value of (√3)^7 + (√3)^5 + (√3)^3 + 42(√3)

• Thread starter styxrihocc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary, the expression (√3)^7 + (√3)^5 + (√3)^3 + 42(√3) may be written as 3^κ, and the value of κ can be found by factoring out the square root of 3 and simplifying the expression inside the parentheses. This results in the expression 81√3, which can be written as 3^4.5. Therefore, the value of κ is 4.5.
styxrihocc
Given that (√3)^7 + (√3)^5 + (√3)^3 + 42(√3) may be expressed as 3^κ,
find the value of κ

Now I know that (√3)^ 7 is the same as 3^3.5 so I have 3.5, 2.5 and 1.5 but i have no idea how to calculate 42 (√3). Please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
styxrihocc said:
Given that (√3)^7 + (√3)^5 + (√3)^3 + 42(√3) may be expressed as 3^κ,
find the value of κ

Now I know that (√3)^ 7 is the same as 3^3.5 so I have 3.5, 2.5 and 1.5 but i have no idea how to calculate 42 (√3). Please help :(

Factor out a square root of 3.
[itex](\sqrt{3})^7 + (\sqrt{3})^5 + (\sqrt{3})^3 + 42(\sqrt{3}) = \sqrt{3}(\text{...} + \text{...} + \text{...} + 42)[/itex]
The expression inside the parentheses will simplify nicely.

I'm sorry i don't get it, how is that supposed to solve the problem? would be great if you could explain in detail

styxrihocc said:
I'm sorry i don't get it, how is that supposed to solve the problem? would be great if you could explain in detail

Without giving it away, I am factoring out the greatest common factor. If you have a polynomial like this:
x4 - 3x3 - 11x2 + 33x

The GCF would be x, so factoring it out would give you this:
x(x3 - 3x2 - 11x + 33)

In the same way, the GCF of the expression you have is the sqrt root of 3, so factor it out. What is the resulting expression inside the parentheses?

√3(√3^6+√3^4+√3^2+42)
so how do i find κ?

styxrihocc said:
√3(√3^6+√3^4+√3^2+42)
so how do i find κ?
Now simplify what is in the parentheses.
What is
[itex](\sqrt{3})^6[/itex]?
[itex](\sqrt{3})^4[/itex]?
[itex](\sqrt{3})^2[/itex]?

27+9+3+42 so 81 total...what now??

So you have
[itex]81\sqrt{3}[/itex]
Write 81 as a power of 3.
81 = 3?
And you know that
[itex]\sqrt{3} = 3^{1/2}[/itex].
Put it all together...?

damn now i feel really stupid having asked the question because that makes perfect sense. thanks a lot man

1. What are indices in science?

Indices in science refer to a mathematical notation used to represent repeated multiplication of a number by itself. They are commonly used in scientific notation and in various equations to make calculations easier.

2. How do I simplify indices?

To simplify indices, you can use the laws of indices. These include the product law, quotient law, power law, and negative power law. By applying these laws, you can reduce complex indices into simpler forms.

3. Can indices be negative?

Yes, indices can be negative. This means that the number is being divided by itself a certain number of times. For example, 2-3 means 2 is being divided by itself 3 times, which is equal to 1/8.

4. How are indices used in scientific notation?

In scientific notation, indices are used to represent very large or very small numbers in a more compact form. The number is written as a decimal between 1 and 10, multiplied by a power of 10. For example, 3.2 x 105 represents 320,000.

5. What is the difference between indices and exponents?

Indices and exponents are essentially the same thing. Indices are the notation used in scientific and mathematical contexts, while exponents are the notation used in algebra and other fields. They both refer to the same concept of repeated multiplication.