Can adiabatic process be isothermal process?

In summary, the adiabatic process is a process in which there is no transfer of heat. If a system is in state (P1, V1, T1) → (P2, V2, T2) if it is adiabatic no heat transfer occurs, if no heat transfer occurs the two states must be in temperature equilibrium.
sphyics
i'm entirely confused with this.

with analyzing each definition:

adiabatic process : a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat

if a system is in state (P1, V1, T1) → (P2, V2, T2) if it is adiabatic no heat transfer occurs, if no heat transfer occurs the two states must be in temperature equilibrium i.e the system will be in thermal equilibrium (isothermal process).

Science news on Phys.org
sphyics said:
... the two states must be in temperature equilibrium i.e the system will be in thermal equilibrium (isothermal process).

Note that when you mention 'two states', these are two states of the SAME system. That is the system is passing from one state to the other. At no time is the system in both of these states. So I do not think one can talk about two states being in thermal equilibrium.

grzz said:
Note that when you mention 'two states', these are two states of the SAME system. That is the system is passing from one state to the other.
yes..not an issue
grzz said:
At no time is the system in both of these states. So I do not think one can talk about two states being in thermal equilibrium.
please be more precise :)

Think of your system of being in a thermo can while performing the adiabatic process. Even if it would like to (because it has a different temperature than its environment) it can't exchange heat with the surrounding because it is thermally isolated from it.
Nevertheless there are also adiabatic processes which are at the same time isothermal.

Let me explain what I meant when I said, 'At no time is the system in both of these states. So I do not think one can talk about two states being in thermal equilibrium'.

'Thermal equilibrium between two systems' implies that there is no net transfer of heat between these two systems. Now the OP was considering a system passing from one state to another state. Part of a system can transfer heat to another part of the system but can a system transfer heat form its own initial state to its own final state?

@sphics
A system can't be in thermal equilibrium with itself. It can only be in equilibrium with some other system - e.g. the Lab. That would constitute an isothermal change and not an adiabatic one.

Now i understand :)
Thanks all for ur help and effort appreciate it :)

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no heat exchange between the system and its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the system remains constant throughout the process.

2. Can an adiabatic process be isothermal?

No, an adiabatic process cannot be isothermal. In an isothermal process, the temperature of the system remains constant, while in an adiabatic process, there is no heat exchange and the temperature of the system changes.

3. What is an isothermal process?

An isothermal process is a thermodynamic process in which the temperature of the system remains constant. This means that there is no change in the internal energy of the system.

4. Can an isothermal process be adiabatic?

Yes, an isothermal process can be adiabatic. This means that even though there is no heat exchange between the system and its surroundings, the temperature of the system remains constant throughout the process.

5. What is the difference between an adiabatic and isothermal process?

The main difference between an adiabatic and isothermal process is the change in temperature. In an adiabatic process, the temperature of the system can change due to work being done on the system, while in an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant. Additionally, an adiabatic process does not allow for any heat exchange, while an isothermal process may involve heat exchange to maintain a constant temperature.