Translational kinetic energy vs. rotational kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem related to the orbit of a moon and determining the amount of work done in shifting the orbit. The equations of conservation of energy are used to solve the problem, and there is a question regarding the conception of kinetic energy and whether rotational or translational kinetic energy should be used. The conclusion is that both types of kinetic energy can be used, but rotational kinetic energy is typically used for the motion of objects in an orbit.
mm2424

Homework Statement

My question relates to a physics problem dealing with the orbit of a moon. In the problem, the orbit of the moon shrinks such that its radius to the center of the planet in question (here, Earth) is smaller. The question gives a great deal of information, but at one point, it asks how much work was done in shifting the orbit.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I set this problem up such that the

Total Initial Energy = Kinetic Energy at Orbit 1 - Potential Energy at Orbit 1.

Similarly, I said that

Total Final Energy = Kinetic Energy at Orbit 2 - Potential Energy at Orbit 2.

I also reasoned that Total Final Energy - Total Initial Energy = Work done.

My question is how best to conceive of kinetic energy for a problem like this. I'm having trouble distinguishing between translational kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy...I know that a rolling cylinder has both types of energy...so I tried to reason by analogy and figured that the moon does as well due to its rotation about its own axis (rotational kinetic energy) and orbital movement (which I figured was translational kinetic energy).

So, I set the problem up such that the kinetic energy at beginning and end were found using 1/2mv^2. The periods at both positions were given, so I found the velocities using v = ωR (with omega equaling 2∏/period).

The answer key I have used the rotational kinetic energy instead of the translational kinetic energy for the kinetic energy components in the expressions above. My answer was close but just far off enough to make me wonder whether it was rounding error or an error in my strategy.

My two questions, I suppose, are:

1) Is it equally acceptable to conceive of the kinetic energy of moving planets as rotational kinetic energy or translational kinetic energy? In other words, are the expressions 1/2mv^2 and 1/2Iω^2 equal provided you correctly solve for v using ω in the first place?

And,

2) Why do we conceive of the motion of moons in an orbit to be rotational kinetic energy? Shouldn't the term be reserved only for the moon's rotation around its own axis?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just say there are two kinds of rotational energy going on. And ignore the rotation of the moon on its own axis in this question unless there is something to indicate that rotation changes.

It should work out the same way whether you use Ek = ½m⋅v² or Ek = ½m⋅(rω)²

1. What is the difference between translational kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy?

Translational kinetic energy refers to the energy of an object due to its motion in a straight line, while rotational kinetic energy refers to the energy of an object due to its rotational motion.

2. How are translational and rotational kinetic energy related?

Translational and rotational kinetic energy are connected through the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The greater an object's moment of inertia, the more energy is required to rotate it at a given speed.

3. Can an object have both translational and rotational kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have both types of kinetic energy. For example, a spinning top has both translational and rotational kinetic energy.

4. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is KE = (1/2)Iω², where KE is kinetic energy, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect rotational kinetic energy?

The distribution of mass affects the moment of inertia, and therefore, the rotational kinetic energy. Objects with larger moments of inertia require more energy to rotate them at a given speed, while objects with smaller moments of inertia require less energy.