Research without university degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by a student in pursuing a career in research after being unfairly punished and unable to obtain a degree. The conversation also touches on the importance of academic track record and credibility in the field of research, the need for resources and equipment, and the idea of starting with a specific and small scope in research. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider going back to school and getting a degree in Physics.
ovais
Hi All,
After four years of hard working in university campus during the course of mechanical engineering, i have had a very painful and unjust punishment instead of any reward. The details are long, precisely I will say i have studied four years in university, mean while a lecturer unfairly punished me under unfair means during the exam, and the university committee debar me for 2 years i because, was just and did not cheat in exam, sue university in High court, but after a period of about one year( when i write all exams of engineering) the court ordered not to interfere in the matter. I now have no degree. I am supposed to be a good students among the professors and students of the department. I have also Qualified a national exam- GATE ( Graduate aptitude Test in Engineering) conducted for admission to master in engineering (M.tech), but as i have no degree i can get the admission nor can i get any government job. Presently i am working as a physics Teacher in private institute where i teach physics to engineering aspirants, preparing to get admission in IITs( Indian Institutes of Technology). It feels to me as if I were born to do some research in electrodynamics. Can this be possible to do without the degree?
Any help will be highly appreciated. REGARDS

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey ovais.

The big issue I see with you is one of credibility. Unfortunately to be taken seriously in research, you usually need an academic track record, which has a bit of a dent in it. You can overcome this, but you will need to be aware of these kinds of things.

Having said that what kind of research do you want to do? Does the research require a lot of resources like equipment? Do you need tens of thousands of dollars of equipment plus funding or is the experiment cheap? Do you need custom created materials?

In terms of doing the research I can't see why not. I do research in my time off, but its definitely not something that I pursue as a full-time endeavor.

Maybe you could give us an idea of what kind research you want to do. If you want to do research that doesn't cost a lot of money, or need a lot of resources (like other people and equipment), that would be a lot more realistic in your situation. This is the case for me, the only things I need are a few programs (statistical packages, and programming packages), pen and paper and access to the internet and textbooks.

I want to do research in Michael Faraday's work, it is said that the mystery of universe lies in the four equations given him. The ways magnetism, electricity, optics are united, this unification appeals me as if the universe is all relative, and want to inquire may be there would some relation between faradays work and Einsteen theory of relativity. I have no idea about the expenditure and laboratories i need to work in. Could u please give me any suggestion that can fulfill my desire.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't give any advice in that regard. I do personal research in areas of statistics, computer science, and mathematics and for this research I only need pen and paper, a computer with the right tools, and access to resources like textbooks and perhaps information like other research documents like articles. I don't need access to expensive equipment that can be involved in research in physics, chemistry and so on.

My advice to you is to think about something specific that you want to test. The scope of your research sounds extremely broad and its really hard to make sense of something that broad without doing a few specific things first.

All of your areas that you mentioned which include magnetism, electricity, and optics are all really large fields and have a lot of subspecialties. In electricity alone there are a few different viewpoints and formulations out there: some that come to mind is Konstantin Meyl and B. Lehnert who are (or were) both professors in their respective fields.

Some areas of research might be concerned with developing simulations and seeing how good the results are, but my advice to you is to start with research that is very specific and small in scope and then slowly build up on that so that you can connected more things together.

Also how is your math? How much math have you been exposed to in terms of 20th and 21st century math? You might find that some generalizations of cutting edge math give insights to new ways of thinking about things. Mathematics allows humans a way to make sense of things that we can not do with our other normal senses. For example it is easy to describe properties of things that have a dozen dimensions, and even work with things that are infinite-dimensional. We can also work with things that are completely paradoxical like the concept of infinity and how that relates to a wide range of phenomena.

I can't really give you more advice, and you should know that there are a lot of people out there that want to do the same thing as you and some in their later years have said that they probably won't understand the whole thing as they anticipated (Stephen Hawking said this in different words), so you should be aware that you probably won't figure it all out and you also need to be aware that this is perfectly normal.

Thanks Chiro, you view that I should start with something very specific in my approach. Well yes, these physics field has fascinated and a lot of people are working on similar topics. With aid of mathematics starting with some specific make great sense.

You're probably just twenty years old, which is quite young. Have you considered going back to school and getting a degree in Physics this time?

1. What is research without a university degree?

Research without a university degree refers to conducting scientific investigations and experiments without having obtained a formal degree from a university. This means that the individual has not completed a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral program in a specific field of study.

2. Is it possible to do research without a university degree?

Yes, it is possible to do research without a university degree. While a degree can provide valuable knowledge and skills, it is not a requirement for conducting research. Many successful scientists and researchers have started their careers without a university degree.

3. What are the benefits of conducting research without a university degree?

One of the benefits of conducting research without a university degree is the freedom to explore different areas of study without being limited to a specific field. This can lead to a more diverse and well-rounded research experience. Additionally, it can save time and money as formal education can be expensive.

4. Are there any challenges to conducting research without a university degree?

One potential challenge of conducting research without a university degree is the lack of access to resources and equipment that may be available at universities. Additionally, without a formal education, it may be more difficult to gain recognition and credibility in the scientific community.

5. Can research without a university degree lead to a career in science?

Yes, research without a university degree can lead to a successful career in science. While a degree may be a requirement for certain positions, what matters most in the scientific community is the quality and significance of the research conducted. With dedication, hard work, and a passion for research, one can achieve a successful career in science without a university degree.