Uncertainty Meaning: Definition & Difference from Error

• Thread starter queenstudy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the difference between error and uncertainty is that the former refers to the difference between a measured value and the known, "true" number, while the latter is the statistical standard deviation of repeated measurements.
queenstudy
hi this is my first physical post , i hope i find the right help
i just want to know the meaning of uncertainty and the difference between unceratinty and errors any explanation would help

Physics news on Phys.org

I suggest that you go to http://ask.com" [Broken] and type in a suitable query, such as What is the difference between uncertainly and error in measurement?

You will find that ask.com is a very good site for posing such questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you

The error is the difference between a measured value and the known, "true" number, while the uncertainty is the statistical standard deviation of repeated measurements. Note that the calculation of uncertainties does not require prior knowledge of a "true" value.

Claude.

queenstudy said:
hi this is my first physical post , i hope i find the right help
i just want to know the meaning of uncertainty and the difference between unceratinty and errors any explanation would help

When analyzing an experiment, it's sometimes useful to separately consider 'accuracy' and 'precision'. Accuracy is how well the (average) measured value agrees with the 'true' value, which may be determined by use of a standard, and your term 'error' may correspond to 'accuracy'. Precision refers to the spread of measured values, which may refer to your term 'uncertainty'. It's possible to have very precise and inaccurate measurements, poor precision and high accuracy, or some other combination. Loss of accuracy is sometimes called 'systematic error', while lack of precision is sometimes called 'random error'.

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/error/error_f.html

Also, there is uncertainty in the underlying object itself if stochastic processes are present. One way to think about this is that we have imprecise information about the object (or process).

Andy Resnick said:
When analyzing an experiment, it's sometimes useful to separately consider 'accuracy' and 'precision'. Accuracy is how well the (average) measured value agrees with the 'true' value, which may be determined by use of a standard, and your term 'error' may correspond to 'accuracy'. Precision refers to the spread of measured values, which may refer to your term 'uncertainty'. It's possible to have very precise and inaccurate measurements, poor precision and high accuracy, or some other combination. Loss of accuracy is sometimes called 'systematic error', while lack of precision is sometimes called 'random error'.

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/error/error_f.html

Also, there is uncertainty in the underlying object itself if stochastic processes are present. One way to think about this is that we have imprecise information about the object (or process).

mr andy resnick , thank very much , that was exactly but is it okay to say error and uncertainty? just curious

What is the meaning of uncertainty?

Uncertainty refers to the lack of knowledge or understanding about a particular situation or event. It is a state of not being able to accurately predict or determine the outcome of something.

What is the definition of uncertainty in science?

In science, uncertainty is the measure of the range of values within which the true value of a measurement is likely to lie. It is an essential component of scientific research and is often expressed as a margin of error or confidence interval.

What is the difference between uncertainty and error?

Uncertainty and error are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct meanings in science. Uncertainty refers to the range of possible values for a measurement, while error refers to the difference between the measured value and the true value.

How is uncertainty measured?

Uncertainty is typically measured using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or confidence intervals. These measures provide an estimate of the range of values within which the true value is likely to fall.

Why is uncertainty important in science?

Uncertainty is important in science because it reflects the limitations of our knowledge and helps us to understand the reliability of our measurements and predictions. It also allows us to communicate the level of confidence we have in our results.