Achieving Enlightenment: Brian's Journey To Find The Map

• Thread starter phoenixthoth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation between Brian and Phoenix touched upon the topic of achieving enlightenment. Phoenix believes that enlightenment includes having the properties of omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence. Brian asked how many people have reached enlightenment and if he can seek out their teachings. Phoenix responded by saying that he only knows one being who has reached enlightenment, but there could be more. They also discussed the concept of God and whether or not one needs to define themselves by their beliefs. Phoenix shared a joke about a Zen master and a Hindu guru waiting for a fairy boat, which ties into the idea of stillness and not letting the ego control one's perception of messages from God. In the end, Phoenix wishes Brian a graceful journey towards enlightenment
phoenixthoth
brian: how do i achieve enlightenment?

phoenix: well, what is enlightenment?

brian: umm, i don't know.

phoenix: well how to you expect to get there if you don't know where it is, if you don't have a map?

brian: umm, i have no idea. but my HUNCH is that i can get there.

phoenix: that is my hunch as well. enlightenment, in my humble opinion, is having all of the following three properties: omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence.

brian: how many people have reached enlightenment? can i seek out their teachings?

phoenix: i only know one being who has reached this. but in fact, there could be three. or perhaps 666. maybe 12. how about 5? maybe infinitely many! if you have two beings all with exactly the same properties, completely in every way, both absolutely perfect, then are they really different beings? brian, what i want to tell you is that there is no map except as the first enlightened being reveals it to us. it teaches us in absolutely every experience you have. only you aren't learning from them. I'm not enlightened, but i am more so than you.

brian: thank you, kind teacher.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you a Buddhist or a zen person?

a buddhist who believes in God, i suppose.

Originally posted by Dissident Dan
Are you a Buddhist or a zen person?

here lies the wrong path for humans to perceive (in my opinion)...is it necessary to define us to our beliefs?

see my signature for one philosophy! :wink:

Originally posted by phoenixthoth
phoenix: that is my hunch as well. enlightenment, in my humble opinion, is having all of the following three properties: omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence.

brian: how many people have reached enlightenment? can i seek out their teachings?

phoenix: i only know one being who has reached this. but in fact, there could be three. or perhaps 666.

So, enlightenment is equated with God or perhaps the devil or both. I wouldn't call that a terribly humble opinion much less goal! It reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.

A Zen master and a Hindu Guru were waiting on the peir for the fairy boat. The Guru looked at the master and said, "I've spent the last twenty years learning to walk on water. Why are we waiting for the fairy? Come on, I'll show you how it's done." The Zen master looked startled and said, "You've spent twenty years learning to walk on water? Why? The fairy is only a dime and it's a long walk across the bay!"

check out "on removing little self taint from messages received from the source." it definitely coincides with your signature; it's all about stillness and not letting the ego (little self) control your interpretation of messages received from God.

may your journey be graceful,
phoenix

1. What is the main goal of "Achieving Enlightenment: Brian's Journey To Find The Map"?

The main goal of this journey is for Brian to achieve enlightenment, or a state of self-awareness, inner peace, and understanding of the world and his place in it.

2. What does the map symbolize in the story?

The map serves as a metaphor for the journey towards enlightenment. It represents the path that Brian must follow in order to achieve his goal.

3. How does Brian's journey towards enlightenment unfold in the story?

Brian's journey is filled with challenges, lessons, and self-discovery. He encounters various obstacles and meets different people who help him on his path. Through introspection and reflection, Brian slowly gains a deeper understanding of himself and the world around him.

4. Can anyone achieve enlightenment or is it reserved for a select few?

Enlightenment is a personal journey and can be achieved by anyone. It requires dedication, self-reflection, and a willingness to let go of preconceived notions and beliefs. It is not limited to a select few; anyone who is willing to put in the effort can achieve enlightenment.

5. What lessons can be learned from "Achieving Enlightenment: Brian's Journey To Find The Map"?

This story teaches us the importance of self-discovery, perseverance, and the power of introspection. It also highlights the idea that the journey towards enlightenment is unique for each person and can be achieved through different paths. Additionally, it reminds us of the importance of being open-minded and embracing change in order to grow and evolve as individuals.