Writing three-fold summation over n_x, n_y, n_z as single summation over n?

Next, we can use the second identity to rewrite the double summation:\sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} e^{-cn_x^2} \cdot e^{-cn_y^2}= \left(\sum_{n_x} e^{-cn_x^2}\right
PerUlven

Homework Statement

On http://www.chem.arizona.edu/~salzmanr/480b/statt02/statt02.html they're going from a three-fold summation to a single summation (cubed) (equation 58-59), something like this:

[itex]
\sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-a\left(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2\right)} = \left( \sum_n e^{-an^2} \right)^3
[/itex], where [itex]a = \frac{h^2}{8kTmL^2}[/itex]

Now, I've run into a similar problem, only I have the square root of the n's, like this:

[itex]
Z = \sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-c\sqrt{n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2}}
[/itex], where [itex]c = \frac{hc}{2kTL}[/itex]

Could anyone show me how they do the first transition, or some hints to how I should start when trying to do a similar transition on my equation? I'm supposed to show that the sum equals

[itex]
Z(\text{high T}) = 8\pi L^3\left(\frac{kT}{hc}\right)^3
[/itex]

in the high-temperature limit. I know that I can approximate the sum with an integral, but I need to convert it to a single-sum first.

Homework Equations

[itex]
\sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-a\left(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2\right)} = \left( \sum_n e^{-an^2} \right)^3 = \left(\int_0^\infty e^{-an^2} dn\right)^3
[/itex]

[itex]
\int_0^\infty e^{-ax}dx = \frac{1}{a}
[/itex]

[itex]
\int_0^\infty e^{-ax^2}dx = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried letting [itex]\sqrt{n_x^2+n_y^2+n_z^2} = n[/itex], but then I end up with just [itex]n[/itex] and not [itex]n^2[/itex] in the exponent, and then I don't get the factor [itex]\pi[/itex] when solving the integral (see the two last equations for solutions to the integrals).

I might be going at this problem all wrong, so I'm open to all suggestions!

EDIT: Just found the solution myself. I'll show it in detail if anyone wants it, just ask and I'll write it out here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this interesting problem to our attention. I am always excited to see others exploring and learning about mathematical concepts.

I have looked into the problem you mentioned and I believe I have found a solution that may help you. First, let's recap what we know:

We have the following equation:

, where c = \frac{hc}{2kTL}

And we want to show that in the high-temperature limit, this equation becomes:

Z(\text{high T}) = 8\pi L^3\left(\frac{kT}{hc}\right)^3

To do this, we will use the following identities:

1. \sum_{n=1}^\infty e^{-an^2} = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}} \text{ (from integral identity 2)}

2. \sum_{n=0}^\infty e^{-an^2} = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}} \text{ (from integral identity 1)}

Now, let's start by rewriting the original equation:

= \sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-c\sqrt{(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2)^2}}
= \sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-c(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2)}
= \sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-c(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2)} \cdot e^{-c(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2)}
= \left(\sum_{n_x} \sum_{n_y} \sum_{n_z} e^{-c(n_x^2 + n_y^2 + n_z^2)}\right)^2

Now,

What is a three-fold summation?

A three-fold summation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a function over three variables, typically denoted by n_x, n_y, and n_z. It is similar to a regular summation, but involves multiple variables.

How is a three-fold summation written?

A three-fold summation is typically written as a single summation over n, where n represents the three variables (n_x, n_y, n_z). This notation is used to simplify the expression and make it easier to work with mathematically.

What is the purpose of using a three-fold summation?

Three-fold summations are commonly used in scientific and mathematical fields to represent the sum of a function over multiple variables. They are particularly useful in situations where the function being summed is dependent on three or more variables.

How do you evaluate a three-fold summation?

To evaluate a three-fold summation, you would first substitute the values of n_x, n_y, and n_z into the function being summed. Then, you would simplify the expression by combining like terms and performing any necessary calculations.

Can a three-fold summation be written as a single summation over a different variable?

Yes, a three-fold summation can be written as a single summation over a different variable, as long as the new variable represents the same three variables (n_x, n_y, and n_z). This may be done for simplicity or to match the notation used in a particular field of study.