Are Scientists Creating Human-Animal Hybrids in the Name of Stem Cell Research?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary, scientists have created hybrid animals called chimeras by adding human stem cells to developing animal fetuses. These include pigs with human blood, sheep with human livers and hearts, and mice with human brain cells. These experiments push the boundaries of stem cell research and have raised ethical concerns about manipulating animal genes and the potential for human diseases to evolve from these altered animals. Some see potential benefits, such as using chimeras to grow human organs for transplant, but others argue that this is a form of pollution and could have unforeseen consequences.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In Minnesota, pigs are being born with human blood in their veins.

In Nevada, there are sheep whose livers and hearts are largely human.

In California, mice peer from their cages with human brain cells firing inside their skulls.

These are not outcasts from "The Island of Dr. Moreau," the 1896 novel by H.G. Wells in which a rogue doctor develops creatures that are part animal and part human. They are real creations of real scientists, stretching the boundaries of stem cell research.

Biologists call these hybrid animals chimeras, after the mythical Greek creature with a lion's head, a goat's body and a serpent's tail. They are the products of experiments in which human stem cells were added to developing animal fetuses. [continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6534243/

Physics news on Phys.org
Cover your heads! When God finds out we've been bad we'll be smited for a week!

Its near the Holy Grail of stem-cell and cloning research. Good to see.

I think this is the hidden scientific origin of the biblical prohibition of sodomy. I think that pigs are scavengers, and have high resistance to infections that would devastate us. Pigs with human DNA will strengthen predatory viruses in such a way, that we will be very sorry. You would think that these creatures would be in deep labs far from possibility of cross contamination, but no, the organs, or parts thereof are transplanted into humans. Nothing is ever as safe as it is made out to be, if money is involved. I think that millions of years were involved in the evolutionary processes of our DNA, and we are already trashing it enough, just with the way we handle industrial waste. This kind of activity is another form of pollution, only it is a route to enhance our predators in the environment, and our permission was not asked. The next swine flu that evolves, might do so in genetically altered pigs, or even in the humans that received their organ parts. It won't accidentally cross over to us, it will by design, be of us.

I think that there are plenty of humans on this planet, and I don't think we should try to better nature's performance, in the arena of our fitness for survival. We need to live better, on a global scale, and let the money go to hungry young humans, who need food, shelter and education.

The danger of humans getting pig diseases is definitely something to think about. But what about the ethical issue of manipulating the genes of animals? Would you like to be an experiment in trans-species genetics research?

Dissident Dan said:
But what about the ethical issue of manipulating the genes of animals?
For people who don't see animals as sentient, protected beings, there are no ethical issues here regarding the animals. If you could make a talking pig, that would be a different issue, but I don't think that's the direction the research is going: one major goal would be to grow a pig with human organs that can be harvested for transplant.
Would you like to be an experiment in trans-species genetics research?
If I had pancreatic cancer, I'd absolutely donate my DNA to the cause.

russ_watters said:
If I had pancreatic cancer, I'd absolutely donate my DNA to the cause.

Nice misrepresentation of the question. I wasking asking if you would like to be the one born with trans-species DNA.

What does talking have to do with being sentient?

QUOTE=russ_watters]…I'd absolutely donate my DNA to the cause.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god! Russ-Watters genetic traits running amok in society and in competition with mine dispersed the old-fashioned way. I desperately need 15,000 consenting females. Please respond ASAP. :biggrin:

Dissident Dan said:
...I wasking asking if you would like to be the one born with trans-species DNA..

I believe we already share suidae DNA with our swine cousins, a little more or less, no big oink.:approve:

Dissident Dan said:
Nice misrepresentation of the question. I wasking asking if you would like to be the one born with trans-species DNA.
Actually, I think you misrepresented the issue. I seriously doubt it will be animal dna in humans - just human dna in animals. That said, we do share upwards of 80% of our dna anyway, so I don't think that would be a big deal (just unnecessary - curing genetic diseases means replacing flawed human genes with good human genes).
GENIERE said:
Oh my god! Russ-Watters genetic traits running amok in society and in competition with mine dispersed the old-fashioned way. I desperately need 15,000 consenting females. Please respond ASAP.
Jeez, that's not what I meant! The holy grail is when pancreatic cancer is diagnosed, you give a little DNA and geneticists build you a new pancreas inside a pig.

russ_watters said:
...Jeez, that's not what I meant! The holy grail is when pancreatic cancer is diagnosed, you give a little DNA and geneticists build you a new pancreas inside a pig.

Just a feeble attempt at humor. At my age I may have to become well acquainted with porky in the near future. :cry:

What is the purpose of blending humans with animals?

The purpose of blending humans with animals is to explore the possibilities of creating new species that possess unique abilities or characteristics. It also aims to advance scientific knowledge and potentially benefit society in areas such as medicine, agriculture, and conservation.

How is blending humans with animals being achieved?

Blending humans with animals is being achieved through genetic modification techniques such as gene editing, transgenics, and cloning. These techniques involve inserting or altering genes from one species into the genome of another to create a hybrid organism.

What are some potential ethical concerns surrounding blending humans with animals?

Some potential ethical concerns include the treatment of the hybrid organisms and their potential suffering, the impact on natural ecosystems and biodiversity, and the potential for creating new diseases or health risks. There are also concerns about the implications for human identity and dignity.

What are the benefits of blending humans with animals?

The potential benefits of blending humans with animals include creating new sources of food, improving the production of medicines and other useful products, and enhancing our understanding of genetics and evolution. It could also potentially address certain medical conditions and disabilities.

What are the risks of blending humans with animals?

The risks of blending humans with animals include the potential for unintended consequences, such as creating unpredictable and uncontrollable hybrid organisms. There is also the risk of introducing new diseases or disrupting natural ecosystems. Additionally, the ethical concerns surrounding this technology pose a potential risk to society.

Back