Calculating Half-Life: When 131I Will Remain in Body at 1% Level

In summary, when iodine is ingested by humans, they eliminate it at a rate of one half of the body's iodine content every 4.0 days. If a patient is administered with radioactive 131I, which has a physical half-life of 8.1 days, only 1% of the isotope will remain in the patient's body after 2.7 days. This can be calculated using the equation 1/T1/2, e = 1/4 + 1/8.1.
HugoPang1

Homework Statement

When iodine is ingested by humans they eliminate it such that on half of the body's iodine content is execreted every 4.0 days. Radioactive 131I with a physical half-life of 8.1 days is administered to a patient. When will only 1% of the isotope remain in the patient's body?

Homework Equations

1/T1/2, e = 1/T1/2,p + 1/T1/2,b

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the rest of the equation but I don't know how people got T1/2,e = 2.7 d

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
HugoPang1 said:

Homework Statement

When iodine is ingested by humans they eliminate it such that on half of the body's iodine content is execreted every 4.0 days. Radioactive 131I with a physical half-life of 8.1 days is administered to a patient. When will only 1% of the isotope remain in the patient's body?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the rest of the equation but I don't know how people got T1/2,e = 2.7 d

Help please!

It looks like simple arithmetic??

1/T1/2, e = 1/4 + 1/8.1

1/T1/2, e = 0.37345679

T1/2, e = 2.67768595 better known as 2.7d

Ah I was thinking so much, I overlooked it. Thank you though!

1. How is half-life calculated for radioactive materials?

The half-life of a radioactive material is calculated by dividing the natural logarithm of 2 by the decay constant of the material. This decay constant is determined by the specific type of radioactive material and can be found in a chart or database.

2. What is the half-life of 131I?

The half-life of 131I, also known as iodine-131, is approximately 8 days. This means that after 8 days, half of the initial amount of 131I will have decayed into other elements.

3. How long will 131I remain in the body at 1% level?

Based on its half-life, it can be estimated that after 10 half-lives (80 days), 131I will remain in the body at 1% level. However, this can vary depending on factors such as the individual's metabolism and the amount of 131I initially ingested.

4. Can the half-life of 131I be altered?

No, the half-life of a radioactive material is a constant value that cannot be altered. It is a characteristic of the specific material and cannot be changed by external factors.

5. How is the half-life of 131I used in medical treatments?

131I is commonly used in medical treatments for thyroid conditions such as hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancer. The half-life of 131I allows for a specific dose to be administered, as it will decay to a safe level within a reasonable amount of time. This allows for targeted treatment of the thyroid gland without causing harm to the rest of the body.