A 5cm long, 30g lead bullet strikes a wall at 27°C and melts on the wa

Also, your calculation for force should include the value you used for the time that the bullet takes to stop.In summary, a 5cm long, 30g lead bullet melts on a wall without splattering at 27°C. To find the speed of the bullet, the force on the wall, and the temperature the marble will reach, the equation Q = ΔMcΔT was used. The calculated Q value was 2.24J and the force was found to be 59.1 * 10^3 Newtons. However, the calculation for the temperature of the marble is still unknown.
Physics8o8

Homework Statement

A 5cm long, 30g lead bullet strikes a wall at 27°C and melts on the wall without splatter.
How fast was it going?
What is the force on the wall?
If the wall is made of 1kg of marble, what temperature will it reach?

Homework Equations

I don't know how to find the temp of the marble...

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = ΔMcΔT
I found Q=2.24Joules
Force is 59.1 * 10^3 Newtons

Physics news on Phys.org

Physics8o8 said:

Homework Statement

A 5cm long, 30g lead bullet strikes a wall at 27°C and melts on the wall without splatter.
How fast was it going?
What is the force on the wall?
If the wall is made of 1kg of marble, what temperature will it reach?

Homework Equations

I don't know how to find the temp of the marble...

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = ΔMcΔT
I found Q=2.24Joules
Force is 59.1 * 10^3 Newtons
Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

Can you show how you calculated Q and the Force? I get something different for Q.

Your calculation for Q should include the values you used for c, ΔT, and the melting point of lead.

1. How does temperature affect the melting of the lead bullet?

The temperature of the bullet and the wall play a crucial role in the melting process. At 27°C, the bullet may reach its melting point, causing it to melt upon impact with the wall.

2. Why does the bullet melt upon impact with the wall?

The impact of the bullet with the wall causes friction and generates heat, which can raise the temperature of the bullet to its melting point. As a result, the bullet melts on the wall.

3. How does the length and weight of the bullet affect the melting process?

The length and weight of the bullet do not directly affect the melting process. However, a longer and heavier bullet may have more kinetic energy when it hits the wall, leading to a higher impact force and more friction, which can increase the temperature and cause melting.

4. Is it possible for the bullet to remain solid after impact with the wall?

Yes, it is possible for the bullet to remain solid after impact with the wall. The melting point of lead is 327.5°C, so if the bullet does not reach this temperature upon impact, it will not melt.

5. Can the temperature of the wall affect the melting of the bullet?

Yes, the temperature of the wall can affect the melting of the bullet. If the wall is at a higher temperature than the bullet, it can transfer heat to the bullet and raise its temperature, potentially causing it to melt. However, if the wall is at a lower temperature, it may not have a significant effect on the melting process.