How to decide on your first job?

• Thread starter bschwartz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, it is recommended to try different job opportunities in order to figure out the best fit for your career path. It is also important to have a balance and not let your entire life revolve around work. Additionally, having engineering related hobbies can help guide you towards a career that you are passionate about.
bschwartz
Hey guys so I'm going to be graduating with a BS in Mechanical Engineering this May and I'm now starting the whole job search. How do you know what you want to do with your life? It's a very daunting question to me and, frankly, scares the hell out of me. When looking for your first job do you take what you can get and try to figure out from experience what you really want to do? I'm just scared that I'm going to get a job (maybe haha) that I don't like and regret it. I know I can always quit and try something else, but I just don't know...

Physics news on Phys.org
bschwartz said:
Hey guys so I'm going to be graduating with a BS in Mechanical Engineering this May and I'm now starting the whole job search. How do you know what you want to do with your life?

Try stuff. If it works, keep doing it. If it doesn't, do something else. I haven't quite figured out what I want to do with my life, and I'll likely die before I have that figured out.

When looking for your first job do you take what you can get and try to figure out from experience what you really want to do?

Something like that. Also, you'll never do exactly want you what to do. So there is this balance between doing what you want to do, and doing what people will pay you to do.

I'm just scared that I'm going to get a job (maybe haha) that I don't like and regret it.

Nothing to fear here. It's fairly likely that at some point you'll work for a company that stinks in a job that you don't like. At that point it becomes a learning/growth/trying to keep sanity experience.

I know I can always quit and try something else, but I just don't know...

Or you are forced to leave because of a layoff... One thing that I've found helpful is to not have your entire life revolve around work. That way if you happen get into a bad situation, then at least you just take the paycheck and do something fun on the weekends.

Hey bschwartz and welcome to the forums.

When you get an interview for a job (touch wood), if you happen to find the right people who you are working with and for, then take the time to just learn new things about your job/career and also about the nature of the work.

twofish said it a lot better than I could have and he sums up my thoughts in a way better than I could have.

Allow me to amplify what TwoFish wrote: If you haven't tried stuff, how will you know what you like or don't like? I bounced around in several contract jobs before I landed in a place where my desire for real work and my natural curiosity could be satisfied at once.

Sometimes you find a place that seems neat until one morning you wake up and decide to try something completely different. They don't call it a mid-life crisis for nothing.

bschwartz said:
Hey guys so I'm going to be graduating with a BS in Mechanical Engineering this May and I'm now starting the whole job search. How do you know what you want to do with your life? It's a very daunting question to me and, frankly, scares the hell out of me. When looking for your first job do you take what you can get and try to figure out from experience what you really want to do? I'm just scared that I'm going to get a job (maybe haha) that I don't like and regret it. I know I can always quit and try something else, but I just don't know...

Feel lucky you have the ability to be so choosy! I would take any technical job I could get.

bschwartz said:

Hi there (By the way this is my first ever post)

Following in the general theme of conversation, I think it would be a good idea for you to try your hand at a few contract temporary posts just to see if anything catches your interest.

However in addition to that if you haven't got any engineering related hobbies currently I would advise you to get some. If you do have engineering related hobbies then a easy move to make would be to get a job in a field related to that hobby if it were possible. This way you essentially get to do something you love every day.

1. How do I know if a job is right for me?

The best way to determine if a job is right for you is to evaluate your interests, skills, and values. Consider what you enjoy doing, what you are good at, and what is important to you. Research the job description and company culture to see if it aligns with these factors.

2. Should I prioritize salary or job satisfaction?

This is a personal decision and depends on your individual priorities. Some people may prioritize a higher salary for financial stability, while others may prioritize job satisfaction for long-term happiness. Consider what is most important to you and how each job opportunity aligns with those priorities.

3. Is it important to consider growth opportunities in a first job?

Yes, it is important to consider growth opportunities in a first job. This can include opportunities for learning new skills, taking on new responsibilities, and advancing within the company. A first job can set the foundation for your career, so it is important to consider how it can help you grow and develop professionally.

4. How much should I research a company before accepting a job offer?

It is important to research a company before accepting a job offer. This can include researching the company's values, mission, and culture, as well as reading reviews from current and former employees. This will give you a better understanding of the company and help you determine if it is a good fit for you.

5. Is it okay to turn down a job offer?

Yes, it is okay to turn down a job offer if you do not feel it is the right fit for you. It is important to consider your long-term goals and whether the job aligns with them. If it does not, it is better to decline the offer and continue searching for a job that is a better fit for your career aspirations.