Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted.

• Thread starter ram18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, ASTM A 453 grade 660 is not suitable for use in seawater applications and it is recommended to use more corrosion resistant materials or consider alternative options such as passivation or using specialized materials for this type of environment.
ram18
ASTM A 453 grade 660,class A,B,C and D fastener rusted in our system and now I am looking for reason why this material rusted by looking properties and High temp fasteners this is the best fastener to use as per knowledge to high strength and high temp application.We used 316SS washer with this bolt its ok or not?Some of those bolts are mixed with black oxide coating may be that's the reason to rusting those bolts.
I am not getting any conclusion on this and getting more and more confused Please help me. These fastener are used in seawater application.Any alternative for 660 bolt?
What if i do passivate these bolt and use it it give me more corrosion resistance or not?
Thanks in Advance for help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the fasteners are being used in a seawater application, it is not recommended to use ASTM A 453 grade 660 as this material does not have adequate corrosion resistance for this type of environment. It is better to use a more corrosion resistant material such as 316 stainless steel or duplex stainless steel. Passivating the bolts may help improve their corrosion resistance, but the effectiveness of this will depend on the passivation process used and the environment in which the fasteners are exposed to. Alternatively, you could look into using other materials that are specifically designed for use in seawater environments, such as Titanium or Super Duplex Stainless Steel.

1. What is Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted?

Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted is a type of high-strength, rust-resistant fastener made from a specific alloy of stainless steel. It is commonly used in high-temperature and corrosive environments, such as in gas turbines and power plants.

2. Why does Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted occur?

Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted occurs due to a chemical process called corrosion, where the fastener reacts with its surroundings and forms a layer of rust on its surface. This can happen when the fastener is exposed to moisture, oxygen, and other environmental factors.

3. Can Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted be prevented?

Yes, Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted can be prevented by using a protective coating or plating on the fastener, such as zinc or chrome. Proper storage and handling of the fastener can also help prevent rusting.

4. What are the consequences of using a Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted?

Using a Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted can result in reduced strength and integrity of the fastener, leading to potential failures and safety hazards. It can also cause damage to the surrounding materials and decrease the lifespan of the fastener.

5. How can Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted be removed?

Grade 660 Class A,B,C Fastener Rusted can be removed by using specialized rust removal products or methods, such as mechanical cleaning, chemical treatments, or electrolytic cleaning. It is important to follow safety precautions and instructions when removing rust from fasteners.