Improving Reading Speed: Tips & Techniques

In summary: I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. Can you please clarify?In summary, it is possible to read without hearing the words. It may take some time to get used to this habit, but it is possible.
Dooga Blackrazor
I know this isn't exactly an English forum, but many of the members here do know quite a bit about English and reading. I find that when I'm reading something I automatically start hearing the words in my head. I feel this is slowing down my reading speed, is there any way for me to start reading sentences as words to simply interpret the data? To do this would I just have to practice?

I'm curious because I'm fairly good at English; however, my reading speed isn't at a level I'd prefer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dooga Blackrazor said:
I know this isn't exactly an English forum, but many of the members here do know quite a bit about English and reading. I find that when I'm reading something I automatically start hearing the words in my head. I feel this is slowing down my reading speed, is there any way for me to start reading sentences as words to simply interpret the data? To do this would I just have to practice?

I'm curious because I'm fairly good at English; however, my reading speed isn't at a level I'd prefer.
Personally I would not complain. I am english and I hear the words in my head so don't worry about it. I can, however, skim read. I do this by simply moving my eyes (at speed) over the sentences and I have now learned just to pick up the information but it might take time because you almost have to stop thinking on what you are reading.

The Bob (2004 ©)

I can read much faster than I can hear the words, at least I could. When I started thinking about whether or not I was hearing the words I read I couldn't not hear them. thank you for slowing my reading by at least 50%.

Wow...it's possible to read without hearing the words ?

Can't you read without moving your ears?

tribdog said:
Can't you read without moving your ears?

I don't know, I have a hard time watching my ears and reading at the same time. Okay, I'll read, you watch and tell me what my ears are doing. :biggrin:

Okay, I'll have to hold your hair up. I hope my breath on your ear doesn't bother you while you read.

Definitely not hearing the words I'm reading now. No idea what I'm reading. Hey! That tickles! :rofl:

1. How can I improve my reading speed?

Improving your reading speed requires practice and implementing certain techniques. Some tips include using your finger or a pen to guide your eyes, avoiding subvocalization (pronouncing words in your head), and reading in shorter chunks rather than trying to read an entire page at once.

2. Is speed reading the same as improving reading speed?

No, speed reading is a specific technique that involves scanning through a text quickly to gather information. Improving reading speed, on the other hand, focuses on increasing your overall reading speed while still comprehending and retaining the information.

3. Are there any exercises or activities that can help with improving reading speed?

Yes, there are various exercises and activities that can help improve reading speed. Some examples include timed reading drills, using a speed reading app or website, and practicing with materials specifically designed for speed reading.

4. Can anyone improve their reading speed?

Yes, anyone can improve their reading speed with practice and dedication. However, the amount of improvement may vary from person to person depending on their current reading habits and abilities.

5. Are there any potential downsides to improving reading speed?

While improving reading speed can be beneficial, it is important to also focus on comprehension and retention of information. Some people may sacrifice comprehension in pursuit of faster reading, so it is important to find a balance and use techniques that work best for you.