PDF eReader for Journals? Two-Column Format?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's search for an eReader that can properly display scientific journal articles in a two-column format. They are considering options such as the Nook Color, Kindle Fire, and Le Pan 3. Another person suggests the Pocketbook Reader, but the speaker finds it too expensive for its 9" display. They mention the limited options for large e-ink displays and the possibility of just buying a tablet instead. They express surprise at the lack of options for readers of scientific articles.
sendthis
Let me start out and say I'm cheap so I would prefer not to buy an iPad or a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

I'm looking for an eReader that does okay on reading the two-column scientific journal format. I don't care about any other features, battery life, etc.

I've read people complain about all of them including the iPad. I don't care about color and can deal with e-ink.

Short of buying a full out notebook tablet, what are some good ideas? I saw the Le Pan might be a good option, but none of the reviews really discusses journal reading.

I would prefer that journal figures are properly displayed, but mostly I just need something I can carry with me instead of a binder or folder full of printed papers. I feel bad about wasting company resources, natural resources, and I just don't want to carry it around.

Thanks.

Top contenders right now are

Nook Color or Tablet
Kindle Fire
Le Pan 3 (not yet out, but might wait)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello SendThis,
did you check the Pocketbook Reader? It can browse many formats of files including djvu files (books). For reading the current really ridiculuously dense pages of scientific journals only the largest 9,7 inch format (902, 912) is usable (screen has the size of A5), but still not quite big enough; the letters are just too small. You can rotate the picture and enlarge, it but you won't see the whole page. The slight glitch is that the machine is a way too slow in responding to user actions. But I ve goot used to it; if you plan to use it just for reading, not for surfing web, its ok.

http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_902.html
http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/pocketbook-912-pro-e-reader-review/

Good luck choosing your eReader,

Jano

Jano,

I hadn't even considered it, thanks for the suggestion. I do like it, but I think the $300 is kind of steep for the 9" display. I'll do some more research on it and throw it in the "maybe" pile.

In fact, I don't mind the e-ink, but it seems the large e-ink displays are all approaching tablet prices. So then it becomes, well if I'm going to spend $300+ on it, I might as well spend a hundred or so more and buy a tablet.

I guess a lot of people are looking for something similar. I know people who read journal articles aren't typical users, but I'm surprised there aren't more options.

Thanks!

What is a PDF eReader for Journals?

A PDF eReader for Journals is a software or application that allows users to view and read electronic versions of research journals in PDF format. These readers often have additional features such as annotation tools, bookmarking, and search functions to enhance the reading experience.

How does a PDF eReader for Journals work?

A PDF eReader for Journals works by converting PDF files into a digital format that can be easily accessed and read on electronic devices such as computers, tablets, or smartphones. The reader then displays the document in a user-friendly interface, allowing for easy navigation and interactions with the content.

What is a Two-Column Format in PDF eReaders?

A Two-Column Format is a layout option available in some PDF eReaders that displays the content of a document in two columns, similar to a newspaper or magazine. This format is often used in research journals to maximize space and improve readability.

Are there any benefits to using a PDF eReader for Journals in Two-Column Format?

Yes, there are several benefits to using a Two-Column Format in a PDF eReader for Journals. It allows for a more efficient use of space, making it easier to read and navigate through longer documents. It also mimics the traditional layout of print journals, making it familiar and comfortable for readers.

Can I customize the Two-Column Format in a PDF eReader for Journals?

Yes, many PDF eReaders for Journals allow for customization of the Two-Column Format. Users can adjust the font size, line spacing, and margins to suit their preferences. Some readers also offer the option to switch to a single-column layout if desired.