Pthread.h on ATmega32 micrcontroller

• Thread starter Etude
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using threads in programming an Atmel ATmega32 microcontroller using embedded C. It is mentioned that this may not be possible as most microcontrollers do not support threading, but it can be simulated using interrupts. The possibility of using a multi-threading operating system, such as BRTOS, is also mentioned.
Etude
Ok This might be really stupid but I have been finding conflicting answers and getting very confused.

I am trying to program an Atmel ATmega32 using embedded C. This is my first time and I wanted to know if I can use threads in the programming.

Thanx!

Technology news on Phys.org
IIRC, most microcontrollers don't do threading. You can simulate it using interrupts, I believe.

Quick test of avr-gcc:
Code:
me@linuxbox:~$ avr-gcc test.c
test.c:1:21: error: pthread.h: No such file or directory

Looking at atmel's documentation, it's a single cpu. If you want to do multi-threading you'll need to write or obtain a multi-threading operating system for the atmega328. The only operating system for the atmega328 I see in this wiki article is BRTOS, which is apparently free (MIT license).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_operating_systems

link to brtos from wiki article:

http://code.google.com/p/brtos/

It's also possible that your atmega328 came with software that included a multi-threading operating system.

Last edited:

1. What is Pthread.h and why is it used on ATmega32 microcontrollers?

Pthread.h is a header file that contains functions and data structures for creating and managing threads in a multi-threaded program. It is used on ATmega32 microcontrollers to allow for parallel execution of multiple tasks, which can improve the overall performance and efficiency of the system.

2. How do I include Pthread.h in my ATmega32 project?

To include Pthread.h in your ATmega32 project, you will need to make sure that your compiler supports the Pthreads library. You will then need to add the #include statement at the beginning of your C code, and link the Pthread library during the compilation process.

3. Can I use Pthread.h on ATmega32 microcontrollers with limited resources?

Yes, Pthread.h can be used on ATmega32 microcontrollers with limited resources. However, it is important to carefully manage the number of threads and their associated resources to avoid overwhelming the system. It is also recommended to use Pthread attributes and synchronization mechanisms to optimize resource usage.

4. How do I create and manage threads using Pthread.h on ATmega32 microcontrollers?

To create a thread using Pthread.h on ATmega32 microcontrollers, you will need to use the pthread_create() function, which takes in the thread ID, attributes, function to be executed, and any arguments as parameters. You can then use other Pthread functions, such as pthread_join() and pthread_exit(), to manage the created threads.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Pthread.h on ATmega32 microcontrollers?

Yes, there are other alternatives to using Pthread.h on ATmega32 microcontrollers, such as using the built-in ATmega32 interrupts or implementing cooperative multitasking. However, Pthread.h is a widely-used and efficient option for multi-threaded programming on microcontrollers with limited resources.