N-point function calculation from a generating function

In summary, to find the 3-point and 4-point functions for the given Z[J], you need to take partial derivatives and then evaluate them at J = 0.
guilhermef
If a have ln Z[J] = ∫ J²f(t)dt+ a∫ J³dt + b∫ J^4dt, where J=J(t), and I would like to get the 3-point and 4-point functions, how do I proceed?

I have tried to use the regular formula for the n-point function, when you derive Z[J] n times in relation to J(t_1)...J(t_n) and after applies J=0, but it doesn't make sense for me, since all the n-point functions will be zero.

Actually, I think this particular Z[J] pretty strange because its integrals are not linear in J(t) as I used to see.

So, could someone give me a hint?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3-point and 4-point functions can be found by taking the partial derivatives of Z[J] with respect to J(t1), J(t2), etc. up to J(tn). For example, the 3-point function is given by: F3(t1, t2, t3) = ∂^3Z[J]/∂J(t1)∂J(t2)∂J(t3) Similarly, the 4-point function is given by: F4(t1, t2, t3, t4) = ∂^4Z[J]/∂J(t1)∂J(t2)∂J(t3)∂J(t4) You can then evaluate the derivatives at J = 0 to get the desired 3-point and 4-point functions.

1. What is a generating function?

A generating function is a mathematical tool used to represent a sequence of numbers or functions. It is usually expressed as a power series, where each term represents a coefficient of the sequence.

2. What is an N-point function?

An N-point function is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between N different variables or data points. It is often used in statistical analysis and is calculated from a generating function.

3. How is a generating function used to calculate N-point functions?

A generating function can be used to generate a series of coefficients that represent the N-point function. By manipulating the power series and applying mathematical operations, the N-point function can be calculated.

4. What is the significance of calculating N-point functions?

Calculating N-point functions allows us to understand the relationship between N variables or data points. It can help us analyze patterns and make predictions based on the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using N-point function calculation from a generating function?

While generating functions can be a powerful tool for calculating N-point functions, they may not always be the most efficient or accurate method. In some cases, alternative mathematical techniques may be more suitable for calculating N-point functions.