Good beginners electrical engineering book.

In summary, the speaker is in their second year of a community college program and is looking for a book to read before transferring to an engineering university. They have some knowledge from working as an electrician, but are looking for a basic understanding of electrical theory. They ask for recommendations and one book suggested is "Electrical Engineering Principles and Applications" by Allan R. Hambley, which covers various topics in electrical engineering and can help prepare for more advanced courses.
EEintraining
Hello

I am currently in my second year of a community college program to prepare me to transfer into an engineering university. I would like to find a book to read before I transfer so that I can have a basic understanding of electrical theory before I hit my major classes. I am leaning towards power engineering and wondering if anyone could recommend a book that they have read that helped them understand the basics. I worked as a residential electrician for 5 years out of high school so I do have some knowledge but it is very limited outside of installation.

I know this is kind of a broad question and I am looking myself on google I was just kind of hoping someone has already read something the could recommend.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for any help you can provide. One book that I would recommend is "Electrical Engineering Principles and Applications” by Allan R. Hambley. It is a comprehensive guide to the fundamentals of electrical engineering, including circuit analysis, electronics, electromagnetism, and power systems. It also covers topics in digital and analog electronics, communications, control systems, and more. This book provides a foundation of knowledge that will help you understand the concepts behind electrical engineering and prepare you for more advanced courses. You may find it helpful to have a copy of this book as you transition into university studies.

1. What topics should a good beginners electrical engineering book cover?

A good beginners electrical engineering book should cover basic concepts such as Ohm's Law, circuit analysis, voltage, current, resistance, power, and basic circuit components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

2. What is the recommended level of math proficiency for a beginner in electrical engineering?

A basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry is recommended for a beginner in electrical engineering. Knowledge of calculus is not necessary, but can be helpful for more advanced topics.

3. Are there any specific books that are highly recommended for beginners in electrical engineering?

Some popular books for beginners in electrical engineering include "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III, and "Electronics for Dummies" by Cathleen Shamieh and Gordon McComb.

4. What are some important practical skills that a good beginners electrical engineering book should teach?

A good beginners electrical engineering book should teach practical skills such as soldering, breadboarding, and using basic electronic instruments like multimeters and oscilloscopes.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a beginners electrical engineering book?

Yes, there are many online resources such as tutorials, video lectures, and interactive simulations that can supplement a beginners electrical engineering book. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, All About Circuits, and Coursera.